HybridZ

Thinking of swapping the tails.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, i've got the Z bug pretty bad. I can't drive downt he road without thinking... "hmm, wonder how that would look on my car"

Saw a late model mustang fly by me on the way home from work one day and caught a glimpse of the tail lights. Once I got caught up with him I noticed the similarities in the shape of the lamps between the stang and the early Z's.

The stang lamps are HUGE though in comparison. You can't tell by looking at the pictures but once you get one in front of you it'll suprise you. I have a nice set now that i'll be working on getting installed.

Wish me luck!!

Not a bad idea, does look like they would flow.

Still in thought process for mine

Spent the better part of a day getting this one light fitted. No mounts yet on the inside to keep it in place. This took major modifications to the inside light supports to get them in. I'll take more pictures of what was required when I get the mounting figured out. The cutout that exposes the fuel cell will be filled in with another trim piece to hide the cell. The circle under the lights is a rough location for exhaust tip cut outs (duals). Still ALOT of work to do to get this thing the way I want it to look!!

IMG_5020.jpg

IMG_5021.jpg

IMG_5022.jpg

IMG_5026.jpg

HAHA first gen preludes. Nice. So would they be at autobac's or upgarage by any chance? 2 of my friends go to Japan every 2 months and might be able to locate them for me. Still keeping my options open but thank you much for you're assistance.

Upgarage is the best bet, Autobacs is not really all that great...We have one down here in Okinawa now and they have some pretty good deals every no and then. try to make it down there a couple times a month.

That is going to be a sweet looking set-up there Horatio, those lights match the body lines pretty good. Nice work...

Upgarage is the best bet, Autobacs is not really all that great...We have one down here in Okinawa now and they have some pretty good deals every no and then. try to make it down there a couple times a month.

That is going to be a sweet looking set-up there Horatio, those lights match the body lines pretty good. Nice work...

Thanks! My intention wasn't to make a drastic change to the rear... just to smooth things out and get rid of the "dated" tail lights. I really want it to look like it was meant to be stock, ya know. Hopefully i'll get the other one in this weekend and start trying to figure out how to get them mounted from behind. More to come!

Man, they look positively HUGE on the back of a Z. Right now, I'm not a big fan of the look, but when it's finished, or when you get them both mounted up, we'll see what I think. (not that it matters what I think, it's your car, and I can seriously appreciate the work you are putting into it.)

The roll pan looks pretty dang good though, especially if you lifted the fuel cell up and put a diffuser in the gap. Not that it would do much aerodynamic good, being that high off the ground, but it would look pretty sweet.

I agree, they are huge looking. The pictures really make them look bigger than they do in person also. Believe me, I had serious doubts whether or not to continue with the swap when I first held the lights in my hands. I'm hoping that the addition of the BRE spoiler and some additional bodywork at the bottom will tame that a bit by making the rear look a little bigger than it is now. I have some additional bodywork planned that'll help them look more at home as well. As of now though, i'm a ahppy camper.... Cause I can see my ultimate goal in my head!!!

Man, they look positively HUGE on the back of a Z. Right now, I'm not a big fan of the look, but when it's finished, or when you get them both mounted up, we'll see what I think. (not that it matters what I think, it's your car, and I can seriously appreciate the work you are putting into it.)

The roll pan looks pretty dang good though, especially if you lifted the fuel cell up and put a diffuser in the gap. Not that it would do much aerodynamic good, being that high off the ground, but it would look pretty sweet.

Someone should do a photochop to mirror the straight-on rear shot and clean up the view through the hatch, etc. See what the finished thing will look like.

Ah, we have ourselves a volunteer!!!

Plus, why bother... I can see the finished product perfectly clear in MY head!!:mrgreen:

Ah, we have ourselves a volunteer!!!

Plus, why bother... I can see the finished product perfectly clear in MY head!!:mrgreen:

Ah, my friend, I am horrible with Photoshop. Many quickie jobs could be referred to as a photochop but mine would be a photohack. :shock: