HybridZ

Thinking of swapping the tails.

Alright, here's my plan as best as I can get it out on photoshop.

IMG_5020alt.jpg

What do you plan on doing with the center section? The one thing I almost always see with custom tail lights that usually ruins them is the panel people use. It's almost always totally flat. That just doesn't work. If you haven't planned on doing so, I advise you to give the center section some shape, where the license plate and whatnot goes. Doesn't have to be fancy, but it needs to be something. If you just vaguely followed the look of the stock tail panels, it would probably be fine.

Anyway, thought I'd offer my input since I think those tail lights could look really good if done correctly.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you plan on doing with the center section? The one thing I almost always see with custom tail lights that usually ruins them is the panel people use. It's almost always totally flat. That just doesn't work. If you haven't planned on doing so, I advise you to give the center section some shape, where the license plate and whatnot goes. Doesn't have to be fancy, but it needs to be something. If you just vaguely followed the look of the stock tail panels, it would probably be fine.

Anyway, thought I'd offer my input since I think those tail lights could look really good if done correctly.

Haven't quite figured it out yet. Definitley hadn't planned on leaving it flat though. I'm still debating on license plate placement as well. I'll have to fab up a lamp for the plate also. You can't tell in the photos or in the photochop, but I have planned to keep the contour of the original black tail light panels, providing a slight recess to the tail light area that would give it a "vague stock" appearance. Hopefully i'll get it to look somewhat stock in appearance but more refined....... Foose'd, ya know? (man what i'd give to have that man fix my 240 up!!!!) I'll get the lights in and work around them.

• 1 month later...

I got the other light opening cut out. Haven't figured out how to secure the lights yet. I set the tailgate and spoiler on to get an idea of the final product. The black lower trim is a spray painted cardboard template. I'm happy with the results so far. The spoiler and lower trim seem to accomodate for the large light size. Still need to fab the lower trim in metal and tie the rear section into the deck. Then, a bunch of fine tuning and i'll have the rear "done" for now.

IMG_5038.jpg

IMG_5050.jpg

Also built a fuel door for the cell. Figured i'd use one of the tool compartment lids. I pulled the one from behind the passenger... battery will be relocated here anyways. I'll be making a box for the battery to hide in behind the pass seat.

Feb2009054.jpg

Feb2009055.jpg

Two ways you could make that Mustang setup work:

Do what you planned along the lines of the last photoshop you did, license plate in the middle.

Or, add a Z Emblem in the center between the two tails and mount the plate below at the bottom of the bumper. (Sort of like how the Stang has the pony emblem there).

I'm impressed though. If you told me about that idea I wouldn't think it'd be coming off as good as it is. I'm not a huge fan of swapped taillights. Looks good.

I myself think it would be a great looking conversion and hope you pull it off.

I'm hopeful... hopeful that I can pull it off so I don't have to buy another shell to complete my Ls1 project! No way I can go back to stock at this point!

ahh yeah thats it, i thought it was from aussie land because i seen a video he made posted on a site called fugudrift www.fugudrift.com its a drifting site in japan.

My mistake.

Like I said previously I hope you pull it off, I love the ingenuity I find on this site and the members here are always trying new things nd just chopping stuff up and modifying things.

This site boost's my interest in my own z project tenfold everytime I visit.

I'm subscribing to follow your progress.

Matt

Progress will be halted temporarily. I'm currently sitting on the couch with me knee propped up and iced. Had a softball related injury. Orthopedists suspects torn acl/mcl. MRI Monday.

Anyone have/had this injury? How long can I expect to be lame before I can bear weight on the knee and walk "normally"?

Progress will be halted temporarily. I'm currently sitting on the couch with me knee propped up and iced. Had a softball related injury. Orthopedists suspects torn acl/mcl. MRI Monday.

Anyone have/had this injury? How long can I expect to be lame before I can bear weight on the knee and walk "normally"?

I've had 3. You'll be out 12months for therapy, but you'll be able to start putting pressure on it and laying down to wrench in about 2-3 months. If you're lucky you'll only have torn the MCL, no surgery required for that one. ACL is a different story.

Every ACL/MCL is different - some people tear that ACL and don't even know they did it till much later - I was walking again, bearing weight in 2-3 weeks after tearing ACL - I was out to sea again (I'm in the navy) 2 weeks after that - a year later I still haven't had the surgery :)

Anyway, back to the thread - the love of JDM , I fully support tail swap, if my opinion counts. The lines of the S30 are so classic they'll never go out of style, but some of the auxiliary stuff (tail lights, seats, maybe the dash/console) could use an update from decade to decade. This is after all a hybrid site, so, in Horatio's case, the ford tails with the Chevy engine - appropriate.

Horatio, BTW, excellent job so far. I have an old welder in my garage I've never even turned on, so I don't know the first thing, but I can appreciate the work.

My current idea for tails is something much smaller, i.e. the tails from a Chevy z71 or something. Essentially, it'd be similar to the mustang swap, if you only used the outermost of the three sections of the tail. Add in a white stripe for reverse, and there you go.

Doing something with all the negative space in the middle of course becomes an issue, but looking at what's happening over here (http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=145286), there are lots of good ideas and inspirations to combine out there.

I think the blacked out 300zx tail is classy too...

Val

MRI yesterday. 45 minutes of itching hell! can't move at all and everything starts to itch! And..... why don't they put a T.V. over the damn thing or something?? Meet with orthopedist tomorrow to find out results. I've noticed that my tibia is sitting considerably further back under my knee than it use to. There's a concave "arch" from my knee cap down to the tibia. Yikes! Lot's of fluid in there too. I'm expecting him to want to stick me with a needle and remove some of it tomorrow. Lovin' it!!!

Anyway, back to the thread - the love of JDM , I fully support tail swap, if my opinion counts. The lines of the S30 are so classic they'll never go out of style, but some of the auxiliary stuff (tail lights, seats, maybe the dash/console) could use an update from decade to decade. This is after all a hybrid site

Thank you. Was going to do the skyline r32 coupe tails

I actually came up with what design of tail lights but its under wraps till Im finished as the out come may not appeal to me but thats trail and error :)