HybridZ

Bicycles anyone?

Armand

So I've been a bicycling enthusiast for a pretty good time now, and usually ride a 79' Volkscycle and a Green eBike around for errands/work/group runs/fun. It's only been a few months since I've had my road bike but I just have to comment on how much I enjoy riding my bicycles instead of my car for commuting and was wondering if anyone else did the same?

How many miles do you ride a day? What do you ride? Anyone living car-free?

I started going to the gym the same time I started bicyling too. I've been in pretty amazing shape since I started 2 months ago and I have even less stress than I usually do cause I never have to deal with traffic/parking ever.

The commute to my work is about 8 miles and takes me about 15 minutes with a car. I live up a series of hills and the commute TO work is always fast(:flamedevi), fun, and just overall pretty pleasurable, and takes me about 20 minutes flat with no sweat/fatigue. The ride back is great because it's a work-out to home, after work.

But for a majority of the year the weather can be 90-105 degrees. I'm a waiter as my second job in a very nice restaurant and I must have a clean composure. I ride my electric bike on these days and for errands. I work two jobs and I'm pressed for time, so some days riding my bike I get a solid hour or more of cardio a day and don't have to go the gym or pay for gas.

I also saved a total of $135 last month in gas costs so I'm pretty happy about that.:mrgreen: Oh and don't worry, I still love to take the Z for a spin every other day.:burnout:

To keep it short, I just wanted to share with you something that has improved my overall quality on life, and was wondering if anyone else has done the same?

I ride my dad's 80's Univega a lot. Well, a lot when it's nice here in NE. The university's campus is split into two, so half my classes are about two miles from where the dorm is, so I ride there as much as I can. I need to bring the bike back and get it ready for spring, thanks for the reminder! haha

i used to race road and mountain bikes on the international level for quite a while. i would ride to work every day ( about 5 miles each way) as a get the juices flowing type of thing. had a car but rarely used it. had a grocery store across the street and a mall around the corner so me and my ex could just walk. most days were good. i have to say that some people just do not see you and there were numerous times i had to take the corner with the car because they do not think of us and how fast we can move. i still get a kick out of some of the looks that i got when i was motor pacing behind the city busses going 40-45 mph and passing other cars on the street.

always wear a helmet, you never know what will happen and helmet hair is eays to fix in the restroom.

have fun out there.

jimbo

Oh and if anyone in the surrounding Los Angeles area would like to come to some bike rides with me and my brother, you can track where we're going and you can never get lost if you sign up for our twitter. These rides are tons of fun and a lot of them are just like a big party on bicycles.

http://www.green-cycles.com/track

I ride daily. I generally do a multimodal commute where I ride 7 miles to the electric commuter trains. So I get about 14miles a day during the work week. This winter I haven't ridden very often on the weekends. Now that the weather is getting better I'm getting about 40-60 miles on the weekends.

Current collection:

08 Cannondale Capo Fixed (17lbs)

07 Trek T1 Fixed (16lbs)

06 Lemond Filmore Fixed (19lbs)

02 Giant TCR geared bike

mid 70's Invicta converted to Single Speed for Girlfriend (mocked up in pic, finished now): http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/208/dsc01046vf2.jpg

I really love the fixed gear bikes. They are so simple and fun to ride. A really great workout too. I use my TCR for long rides as the gears really make a difference when climbing. I have only done one century ride so far, but plan on doing quite a few this summer.

I really want to by a nice mountbike next. Hopefully a nice hardtail 29er. I really like the trek 69ers SS, but likely won't buy one as I only want one mountain bike.

Justin

I live in the urban San Diego just a couple miles from Balboa Park area, so I ride all the canyon trails in the area. I've got Giant Trance X2 cross country mtn bike that I picked up a couple of years ago. I would love to build myself a fixed gear - the area surrounding downtown San Diego is hilly and altogether a nice ride. I wouldn't even consider riding to my work. Its too far (about 15 miles) for my out of shape self and I just quit smoking so I don't have the lung capacity let alone the stamina.

I really love the fixed gear bikes. They are so simple and fun to ride. A really great workout too.

I had a chance to ride one a few group rides ago and man o man talk about different! It feels super challenging, which means fun, :) and it gives your upper body a hek of a work out too. It would be fun to build one soon for myself but the series of hills I love on top of makes me think twice, but I'll probably do it anyway.:mrgreen:

i've been road biking for about a year and a half now. i commute by bike to school about half the time. it's 10 miles each way, but pretty flat, so it's not too bad. i have a 03 cannondale caad5. i just can't see myself doing the fixie thing. Jesus made bikes to have gears and turning can get harry on a fixie.

• 3 months later...

I used to commute a lot to school, but now I mostly just take time and train correctly rather than try to work it in to my commute.

Instead of doing the 12mile to school thing, i'll just do the 12 miles there and back in one sitting, and treat it like a time trial.

My machines include a self built aluminum frame carbon forked campy veloce bike, and a peugot fixie from the 80's. I love fixies!!!!

This is what I have been currently riding

Carbon 29r with riged carbon fork and some new carbon wheels

I Mountain bike and road bike about 4x a week. I use to do endurance races like this

http://www.warriorssociety.org/events/vision_quest_general_info.html

But I crashed pretty hard 2 years ago and was in the hospital for 10 days. I take it a little easier now as I scared my daugter pretty bad being in the hospital with a bunch of tubes coming out of me. Ride safe

n1026126512_30276145_1449.jpg

n1026126512_30276146_1670.jpg

This is my Schwinn Suburban 5 speed circa 1973. This was the last bike I had before I got my drivers license. And once you have your license and a car who needs a bike! I saw this on ebay about 5 years ago and figured what the hell and bought it. The last time I rode it was a few years ago but it rode like a new bike.Too bad I can't afford to replace the Apple Krate I had before the suburban!

Derek

70b41893.jpg

As long as we're doing pictures:

2akflfs.jpg

The above picture is me on my old raleigh fixie, which has donated it's parts to my better fitting peugot fixie (not pictured)

x38uo3.jpg

Whats the point of owning a road bike if you don't go racing?!?

Monzter-- that is one sick 29er... i bet it weighs nothing.