HybridZ

'73 240Z...Your Thoughts on this purchase

All,

I have an opportunity to buy this car, the body looks straight, paint in decent shape, the seller has the interior parts, the important ones anyway...But there is NO ENGINE or TRANS...

I consider that a bonus as I was planning on going through the entire car anyway. Still unsure if I am going to go V8, or L28ET...But I have time to decide that. I have been looking for a 240 for about 3 months, and this is the cleanest that I have come across within about a 500 mile radius, that is within my price range.

Please leave your thoughts...

Damon

240ZPics#5321682527701051298

240ZPics#5321682510853607170

Pictures are worth 1000 words. Pictures would really help us out if you want our input. From the description, it sounds good. But then again, from the description, my 240Z sounded like it needed floors and subframes. Which is the same car I'm currently in the process of cutting up due to its decrepit, unsalvageable condition.

I cant see the pics... When you are putting pics on, don't copy the URL straight off your address bar, right click the picture and copy the url there, make sure it ends with picture format.

SSPX0418.jpg

It will come out looking like a picture instead of a little x.

Anyways, it looks pretty good. It is in a way better condition than mine. =]

Justin

Oh I am fully aware, I have restored several different vehicles, and can do the body work, though It isnt too fun...I do plan on checking it thoroughly. The person that has it now was planning an RB26 swap, but has run out of time...

I would love to do an L28ET as I believe it would be easier (slightly) than a V8, I have a JTR book, just need to find it...if I go that route, and SB Chevys are cheap and easy to rebuild. I've done so many of those I believe I could do one in my sleep. All pictures provided so far look like the current owner has already done the body work.

I would go through the suspension, wiring, interior, and of course engine & trans.

I welcome all comments. and can post the link to more pics...

Damon

Looks pretty clean, and also pretty solid. However, I disagree with you when you say it looks like he's done the body work. if you look at the drivers side of the hood and headlight scoop, it looks like it was hit with something. Looks like you'll have a bit of body work to do, but hopefully not too much. Looks relatively straight.

What's his asking price?

yeah, looks like a pretty decent base. It doesn't need too much cosmetically, though I would wonder how much work has been done to it since there's obviously some previous restoration efforts. What are you thinking of offering? I wouldn't doubt $1000 would be a good start with the interior. Though east coast prices may be higher. Be sure to check the body behind the front wheels and floorpans for exterior rust.

Pharoh,

The guy wants $1500, with the interior missing, I feel that that is too high. If he has the dash, regardless of condition I will start offer at $1K. If no dash, that number obviously goes down, as dashboards are going at a premium...more than the car would cost at purchase.

I still have yet to find my JTR book, I know I had one, just havent seen it since we lived in Orlando. I am planning on doing SB Chevy, with 5sp, would like a 6 speed, just not sure how much $$$ to throw at that item. I am going to have to do some research and brush up on all of the little components to put this back together.

I am planning on taking it down further. My plans are as follows:

• Take suspension apart, all new bushings at least, Shocks, but would really like to do coilovers.
  • Brakes, Disks all around, Probably do the 'yota calipers up front. Still have to investigate and see what is most cost efficient for the rears.
  • Intend to do sub-frame connectors, either like Pete Peraska has on his 'Altered Z' or big dog...
  • Stitch weld entire unibody
  • Undercoat, Perhaps Rhinolining, Lizard Skin, etc. Do both Exterior Underbody, and Interior.
  • New Wiring throughout, Painless? Must do research
  • New Interior, Guages, etc.
  • ZG Flares, I really like the CF ones
  • Wheels, Tires, but that is some ways off as of now.

I guess that about covers everything, I really dont want to get sidetracked, and knowing me I will probably work up a schedule and timeline...May use Primavera, determine a critical path, in order to stay on track. But that is just me....

Life is getting better & better....

Damon

Yeah $1500 might be too much, but it depends on what shape the body is in, I wouldn't let a Dash really be a deal breaker. I think starting at offering him $1K is probably pretty good. Though make sure you check the Vin #'s to the title if the dash is out. you don't want to have any issues. It's unfortunate that it's been taken apart, hopefully he's got all the little nuts and bolts. it's a pain to have to run down missing pieces. If you get to do it yourself, then you have better control over things, but on the same token, if it's already out, then he's saved you some work (maybe) in your teardown. One piece of advice I've heard many times in preparing for my own teardown: "Don't throw anything away until you're done" even if you think you're never going to use a part, you might find later on it had a plue on it, or a special sized bolt, or that an aftermarket part doesn't fit right. So get a pallet and a big rubbermaid trash bin, and just put everything in there until you're sure you're done.

Your plan looks pretty similar to mine, tho I'm putting a VQ35HR into a 78' 280z..

Pharaoh

Pharohabq -

I understand what you mean of all of the nuts & bolts, having restored a truck for my son (his first vehicle). Tracking down that stuff can be time consuming & add up to substantial money, quickly.

My budget for this project is about $8k over the next 18 months. The bonus is I will be doing all of the work myself, and will concentrate on one area at a time, and keep the 'while I'm at it' syndrome to a minimum.

I do so much appreciate the information on this site. I was a member here started in 2000, but that account got deactivated from inactivity. So I am back again. Too stay this time around...

Damon