HybridZ

Do you wear gloves when working on the Z?

280Z Turbo

Do you wear gloves when working on the Z?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you wear gloves when working on the Z?

• Yes
    • No

Never for work, never for car.

I did with my clutch, only cuse my wife had brought home some latex gloves and it was below freezing out.

Handling all that aluminum and cast iron really make your hands cold.

Done in driveway.

I don't like fighting the gloves, and I can not feel things as well.

The latex was not bad, so I'm considering getting some.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i initially used latex [cause i don't like to spend $ and they were less] but any fluids-like brake, gas, etc would shrivel the latex and i'd have to whip on a new pair.

the nitrile are more expensive at the regular parts store and about 1/3 the price at harbor freight. i get them in boxes of 100 qty, less than $5.

I always wear gloves since I own the Z.

I've got many of those; each time I'm going to visit a plant somewhere (I'm a mech engineer) I keep the gloves they give me I should throw away anyway. So it is free refill as long as I visit plants ;)

I do have a full box of latex gloves for dirty jobs (axle rebuild, diff disassembly for instance) and I have a "heavy duty" pair of gloves when I know "it's gonna hurt if I screw up"

Depends on the job. Even latex and nitrile make it a difficult in a blind spot. I prefer to wear them but sometimes yank them off for complex or small scale tasks, especially if I can't see.

And, for those of you that don't wear for machismo, there is nothing more manly than a pair of elbow length leather welding gloves. I love those things. I have about 4 pair and I don't even weld that much! If I ever get into a fight, I want to be wearing a pair of red Lincoln's! JK, well, sort of kidding.

Hand injuries and dirty hands are two of my pet peeves. The rest of me could be covered in dirt and grease and god knows what, but if my hands are clean? I'm good to go. Small hand injuries are just annoying, they bother me constantly.

I LOVE the mechanix gloves. Expensive,yes, but I like having the dexterity they allow and still having some protection. Try suggesting them as a potential present for you for birthdays and such to others.

I have about 10 different pairs in different stages of wear.

For dirtier jobs, HF makes a industrial black nitrile that I like a lot. Much heavier than the standard blue ones.

Aside from personal hygiene and protection, gloves help keep the rest of your car/tools/workplace cleaner.

Dirty hands are for dirty people.

Not to mention the CLEANER YOU AND YOUR SHOP/WORK AREA ARE, the cleaner your work will be (craftsmanship quality if you will).

The assumption here is that what you are working on is dirty!

If your car is not a WRC Champion, then it should be clean enough that gloves are not a requirement...

On teardowns and dirty work, yeah various gloves...

But after it's cleaned, not a big deal unless solvents are involved...

I'm an auto tech for a living. I've only worn them a handful of times.:mrgreen:

I HATE the constant squeeze the gloves exert. They also really limit my sense of touch. Sweating is another issue.

This would really be tough to get used to. Most of the other techs use them. My Dad was a tech,and retired before their introduction. I was brought up in a no glove world.

My hands will never win any beauty awards. There seems to be a lot of people who like them. I might give it another try.

other uses: blow them up, tie a not, turn upside down for the cows udder look. Then hang from hood. Ask other tech if he is milking the job.(AUTO SHOP HUMOR)

Also makes a nice chicken for your kids.

AND THIS:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zy9j97ylr4

I try to but I don't always use them. I have latex gloves for when I need to be able to feel what I'm doing and get into tighter spaces and regular mechanic gloves for regular work just to protect my knuckles and when I need a tighter grip on a wrench. The rest of the time I'm bare handed. I think I'm going to keep an extra pair of each in my car from now on. My hands have been stained for 3 days from helping a friend with his jeep.

Everybody says that until BAM! Herpes. :)

haha. Thats classic. Props.

But what im working on doesn't necessarily need to be dirty for me to wear gloves. I got into the habit of keeping gloves on, if im in the garage. I work better that way somehow

I'm a mechanic by trade and for the past 3 years I have wore gloves every day. When I started at the Nissan dealership I'm at now they provided them for free so I started wearing them. We use Dynaflex latex gloves. I believe they are 8 mil thick. I personally can't work on stuff without them now. I like my hands being clean......especaliy since I'm single now. Ladies don't like nasty hands anywhere near them! LOL

Guy

• 3 weeks later...

I wear the Safeskin purple nitrile gloves you can get at wal-mart in the band-aid aisle. They are more resistant to chemicals and tears than all the other nitrile gloves I've tried mainly because they seem thicker. They also don't come all stuck together so you don't have to blow them up like a balloon to get them on your hands. Cheap too, 40 for like $4.00.

edit: here are the ones I use: http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?id=prod2651747&CATID=100954&skuid=sku2651184&V=G&ec=frgl_581422&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku2651184 except I buy them at wal-mart for cheaper.

Edited by junglist
adding link