240z8's '71 240z Chevy V8 Project

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a new update!!! But, it not necessarily a good one... We were prepping the engine to pull it, and I was taking off the transmission mount, and I'm not sure the car loves me, because I'm kinda in pain now. I was using the impact gun/wrench, or whatever your call it, to take out the three bolts keeping the tranny mounted to the car, and apparently it didn't click in my brain or my dad's brain that when I took off the 1st bolt off and the transmission dropped a little to get a jack stand or a bottle jack to set it on. The transmission fell on the impact gun, and pinched my finder against the ground. Here are some pics of the aftermath: Also, the stock motor mounts must be really weak or than transmission must way a lot, because the entire engine is tilted back.

First lets start off with some pics of the engine and tranny:

DSCF2652.jpg

DSCF2656.jpg

DSCF2657.jpg

DSCF2660.jpg

And a nice picture of the engine sticking up above where the hood would normally be:

DSCF2666.jpg

AND NOW FOR THE GRAND FINALE!!! Pictures of my finger.... :shock:

DSCF2678.jpg

DSCF2683.jpg

I have two vertical, straight line fractures in the tip portion of the finger. One fracture is apparently going from the tip to the joint and the other doesn't quite reach the joint.

I go back to the doctor on Monday, soooooo, I guess you might get another update soon? Hopefully. :burnout:

Got another update for ya. We got the engine pulled earlier and I have some pics. The pics aren't extremely exciting, but at least we got something done today. :mrgreen:

DSCF2684.jpg

DSCF2688.jpg

DSCF2690.jpg

DSCF2691.jpg

DSCF2692.jpg

DSCF2693.jpg

Maybe now, with the engine out, we can finally get this project moving! :willy_nil

Got another update for ya. We got the engine pulled earlier and I have some pics. The pics aren't extremely exciting, but at least we got something done today. :mrgreen:

DSCF2684.jpg

DSCF2688.jpg

DSCF2690.jpg

DSCF2691.jpg

DSCF2692.jpg

DSCF2693.jpg

Maybe now, with the engine out, we can finally get this project moving! :willy_nil

Ok, 1 question. is this engine/tranny worh anything or should I just haul it to the scrap yard? Could not get to run. #3 cylinder had some crap in it and on the plug but other 5 very clean. Heck even $50 - $75?

I dont know how much you care for my opinion, but the cars and intake mani are probably worth 50. I have seen just the carbs getting rebuild go for 250, with the person providing the carbs. You could sell the valve cover and probably the dizzy and a few other things, the block somebody might buy but if not I would just scrap that. You don't get much for scrap. In vegas they pay 4 cents a pound. say about 300 lbs your not getting much.

What are the air ducts going from the front of the car through the engine bay into the fender?

Do they feed air to the brakes? Haven't seen them before but they look very stock (maybe I have just never taken notice of them).

You can see them in these photos

DSCF2692.jpg

DSCF2691.jpg

I must have had my blinkers on. Just had a look at the engine bay thread in the L series forum and there are heaps of cars that have them. My car has the hole in the radiator support (used for intercooler piping now) but no hole in the fender. Is anyone able to tell me what it is?

I must have had my blinkers on. Just had a look at the engine bay thread in the L series forum and there are heaps of cars that have them. My car has the hole in the radiator support (used for intercooler piping now) but no hole in the fender. Is anyone able to tell me what it is?
It's an air duct that goes to the cabin.

• 1 month later...

I really haven't done much on the car lately. We used a power washer to clean most of everything out of the engine bay, then I cleaned it with a sponge and steel wool. I sanded most of the passenger side of the engine bay and did a quick rattle can primer.

But, we did buy some goodies, some chrome shorty headers, a polished intake, some chrome valve covers, the v8 engine mounts, and a chrome crankshaft cover.

DSCF2751.jpg

DSCF2754.jpg

DSCF2755.jpg

DSCF2758.jpg

DSCF2759.jpg

Oh, and the V8 is yellow :)

DSCF2763.jpg

DSCF2761.jpg

I should probably get some paint stripper and strip the paint on the oil pan and repaint it black shouldn't I? I think it would look funny from certain angles with it drippy and yellow.

All I need now is to grind the engine mount holes & the engine mounts, get a speedo cable, get a drive shaft made up, and the engine will be ready to go in. Just have to find the ambition to actually go outside and do those things. I will... Eventually... :mrgreen:

chrome is like alcohol, in moderation its good fun, in excess it usually turns out horrid, but on rare occasions, its even better...

just keep that in mind lol

looks like you guys are getting right along.

So your telling me to keep adding chrome until I die of some sort of poisoning? It's gonna be hard to find someone to dip the entire car in chrome lol. Jk

Anyways, I heard some yelling. It could have been my dad telling me to clean the kitchen though. Lol

On another note, my dad and I went junk yarding because someone emailed my dad telling him there was a 240z in a junkyard near us. We went to the junkyard, looked all around and only found one 280zx. We looked at this 280zx when the owner had it for sale for 500 bucks, non running, missing all gauges, rust through everything, some random hole in the roof with a plug in it, and the interior was totally thrashed. But thats a different story. We found a late 70's Trans Am with the little scoops on the fenders and a 3 piece wing, and we think we might go back and get those just for sh!ts and giggles. We found some nice seats that we might get out of a Ford Probe. It just depends on how wide they are. Then we went to the junkyard right next to that on and asked if they had any like 240-280zs and they were like "yeah", so we went out back and looked at the cars but didn't find any, but one worker pointed us to an 80's 300zx that was totally thrashed, then we found 2 240sx's that were in decent condition and one of them had good seats, so that's a possibility. Then i got the random idea when I saw some Camaros like the one my dad just got (the style before the brand new ones), and saw that a Firebird there had t-tops. So when I got home, I took the t tops off of my dad's Camaro and set them on the roof of the 240z and thought it might be kinda cool looking if I molded in part of the roof of the Firebird into the Z. They measure out where the Z's roof is only like .5" skinnier than the Camaro's.

Sorry about the long story, but do you think it would be easier to put Camaro T-Tops, 280zx T-tops, 300zx T-Tops, or the newer 300zx T-Tops in?

And one more question, say I get all the suspension from a 300zx (5-lug), is it a straight bolt on or am I going fab something up to make it fit right?

Well if you had a nickle from everyone that did a t top conversion on an S30 chassis, you would I think (20 years of Z foolery experience talking) have approx 5 cents to your name. In all my years I think I have seen ONE s30 converted to t tops. On a scale of 1-10 of difficulty, it would definately be a 12 or higher.

As for "bolting on" a z31 5 lug supension. There are no "stock" ways of bolting that up. There are 5 lug conversion kits available for the S30. Again. You would be forging into mostly unknown territory. I am not saying that you can't do it, but simply taking "X" year/model Z car 5 lug suspension and bolting it into your z is not possible.

Great build just the same. Don't let me dampen your enthusiasim, but you are much better off spending effort and money elsewhere in your project.

Scott.

A red 240sx and a grey 240sx that was rearended with aluminum tape. They want 500 for the red one, has a twin cam ka thats got a knock headers and exhaust. oh and the shifter wasnt actually hooked up and there isnt any clutch pedal feel. it drops bottom and doesnt come back up. haha.