HybridZ

LS2 Gurus - Can you make sure this is an LS2 in the pics?

I'm talking to a guy about buying an LS2/t56 combo out of his gto with about 20k miles. It's going to be about 1500miles of driving roundtrip because it's pickup only, but it's a hell of a buy if it's legit. Anyways, here are the pictures he sent me. If anyone can confirm it's an LS2, I would appreciate it, because I can't tell the difference between them and the LS1.

5_4_08090.jpg

5_4_08089.jpg

ask him for the head casting number and the block casting numbers. The ls1 and ls2 are almost impossible to tell apart with out casting numbers. Also ask him what year GTO it came out of.

The heads should be 243 or 799. I not sure what the number on the block should be. Unless it is stamped LS2. That would be a dead give away.

The coils are the LS2/LS7 style from what i can tell by the connector and coil shape.

Also look at the rear of the block there is no cam sensor just oil pressure sensor which means its on the front timing cover. This means it has a 4x cam wheel and a 58x crank reluctor wheel which means it's an LS2.

I e-mailed him for the casting numbers, so I'm waiting on the response. Thanks for all the help - so far it seems legit. The throttle is drive-by-wire.

Shawn Macananny - I thought that only the vettes have the 54x reluctor wheel, and all GTOs had the 24x.

From what i understand everything with a front mount cam sensor has a 4x cam sensor which runs on the computer system that uses a 58x reluctor wheel. I could be wrong although im 99% sure. I know the LS4 i had had a 58x reluctor wheel, and 4x cam sensor. Anything with the 4/58 requires an MSD 6012 box to run carbureted, the 2/24 requires the 6010 box.

Also another thing to check although not pictured is under the intake there wont be any knock sensors in the lifter valley, LS2 knock sensors are located on the sides of the block.

Some info i snagged off of LS1tech

Also depends on whether you will run ETC or cable throttle (no 58X GM items do the cable), what injectors you have/will run (early and late injector connectors are different), and......what CBM said, whether you are running an E auto or not.

Simply:

GM LS1A PCM > 24 X, cable throttle, integrated auto controller, stock type harnesses have LS1 injector connectors: EV1.

GM LS1B PCM > 24 X, ETC (with seperate TAC module), integrated auto controller, stock type harnesses have LS1 injector connectors: EV1.

GM E40 ECM > 24 X, ETC, seperate auto controller, stock type harnesses have LS2 style injector connectors: EV6. (E40 is not as widely used as LS1, E38 or E67 controllers.)

GM E38 ECM > 58 X, ETC, seperate auto controller (A4's), stock type harnesses have LS2 style injector connectors: EV6. Also supports GM A6 with trans integrated controller.

GM E67 ECM > 58 X, ETC, seperate auto controller (A4's), stock type harnesses have LS2 style injector connectors: EV6. Also supports GM A6 with trans integrated controller.

GM Standalone: see E67. Does not support auto in native GM form.

MAST: Does both 24X and 58X, A4 and A6, see MAST product info for deeper dive. Their M90 is a well thought out controller.

FAST: see FAST product info.

Other aftermarket: See their product info.

• 9 months later...