HybridZ

Just painted my car, thought I'd share (LOTS Of pictures)

Sideways

So what you're saying is if you rub it out you'll love your car even more??

About this 'rubbing it out' business... would that possibly fix the funny feeling I get in my pants everytime I picture my car being finished?

What you did looks very nice and the color goes well w/ the car, but why didn't you pop out the front and rear glass? Were the rubbers in great shape?

My car was done w/ the front glass removed, but they got lazy and didn't do the rear. And of course the rear is starting to show some bubbling. :(

Just curious.

What you did looks very nice and the color goes well w/ the car, but why didn't you pop out the front and rear glass? Were the rubbers in great shape?

My car was done w/ the front glass removed, but they got lazy and didn't do the rear. And of course the rear is starting to show some bubbling. :(

Just curious.

Bah, I wish i had. Long story short, when i bought the car it had no windows- Problem is that was ages ago and it was being stored on the street, due to rain and just theft concerns, I purchased a new gasket kit for the car and had some new windows installed. Come time to paint, I was simpy short on money and was unable to pay someone to remove/reinstall them. I might have been able to do it myself, but i didnt wanna risk and find out the hard way "oops".

But, Its not a show car (Far far from it) and its not going to be a show car, This was all just a interesting learning experience for me I wanted to do out of curiosity. Most of the body work looks "ok" from a distance (Im actually really proud of how the rear bumper shave turned out), but in the right light you can see where the body filler is (cept for on the rear, haha that came out perfect), all the other imperfections in the paint im not too worried about- Im fairly confident I can wetsand/polish them out (cept for one spot, see my other thread). But in the end, this is a car I know im going to beat on and abuse and enjoy on tracks. I dont want a 2000 dollar paint job im going to freak out about should I ever get a rock chip or parking lot scratch in it. Ah well. Next thread will follow the details of the rebuild on my halteched L28et and what it does at the dyno!

Hey mate how did you vent the paint spray in your garage? I painted a car in my garage with the door closed and everything covered with drop sheets and ended up with all the paint settling on the car!

In retrospect, as it was acrylic I would have been better just painting it outside,

Very nice job by the way mate!

• 2 months later...

Saw a PM from someone but cant seem to find it now- Hopefully you find this. Ive been asked this a few times, so maybe it can help some others out too-

Its hard to say how much I spent, for what I got, not a lot- but it wasnt cheap either. Everything start to finish, not including the tool i already had, was probably about 600 bucks. 3-400 for the paint, primer, base, and clear, sand paper, masking materials, cleaning materials, masking materials, etc.

ive also been asked a lot about the quality- Quality of the paint- at least what i got, is pretty damn good in my experiences. Its as good as any factory paint youll find on the street. The quality of MY paint job, not so much. There was a lot of things to learn and i dived in head first, theres a lot i can redo better the second time. Theres dust in the clear coat, and a single section is slightly striped (You can ONLY see it in the brightest of direct light, so its not that bad- but still- sigh.). The quality of the paint job itself all comes down to you, how you mask things, and prep things, etc. If you mask things off, or remove everything. If you get the chance, i HIGHLY suggest removing your windows. Limited budget and experience didnt allow me to, so theres some defects around there- I removed pretty much everything else I could, and most of those areas came out ok.

I dont really have any new pictures, the car hasnt moved yet since its still being rebuilt. Ive finially finished putting the motor back together and its in the car, so im almost there. MY final check list is pretty minor, hook up my gauge, power wire for my fuel pump, hook up the fuel rail, finish frabricating my intake pipes, and connect the haltech harness to my sensors- Then its off to the dyno to find out what it does.

Pretty nice, and point taken, I will remove my windows, I haven't decided if I'm going to do the paint myself or not, but if I do then I'll be sure to vent the garage well. that and spray down the floors w/ water before hand. it looks great tho. Can I ask where you bought the paint from?

Phar