HybridZ

Halfshaft binding issue

Sideways

Im a bit confused, ive been looking around at the r200 swap and some questions came into my mind that i just cant seem to find an answer for.

It seems a concern when putting the r200 in the 240z is the dif is wider on one side causing the axle to be nearly compressed all the way if you use the stock axle, and can cause some binding issues when it does compress all the way along the suspensions travel and who not.

Everything Ive read has brought up some concern about different axle lengths over the years to compensate for this, but a LOT of posts have assured us that this is not the case, and no such axles can be found, that they are all the same length, and the variation in axle lenths is a myth.

So my real question is, Do the 280zs with their r200s have these issues since the axles are supposedly the same lengths? Do they bind from the factory? Is there some kind of suspension geomtry difference between them and the 240z, or hardware difference in the rear end, that negates this problem? Or is it just a little known/little talked about issue that people havent realized or started dealing much with yet? Im stumped!

I was wondering the same thing. There are a lot of guys running 280Z's with lowered suspension, so you would think they would have the binding issue. I haven't really looked through my Hanes manuals enough to see if they mention any difference. I guess I could also look at my two cars to see, but I'm lazy. ;)

The one thing I can assure you is that the 240Z with a R200 does need to have a half shaft shortened (drivers side). When my car is at rest the drivers side half shaft is basically bottomed out. I am having it machined right now. I am trying to make sure I take off enough, but not too much. I don't want to over shorten it causing problems when it has to expand.

They do come close to bottoming out, but it's not an issue. If your still concerned about it updating to adjustable arms may slightly increase clearance. We have sucessfully used Ross's arms increasing the track 1/4 per side, it's not much, but it's some.

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=68

Picture_020B.jpg

It all depends on how low your car is and how you use it.

On a street car that's lowered an inch the binding, if it does occur, will probably not be noticed. On a road race S30 car that's lowered 3" or more and is driven at 10/10ths on a race track, the binding will be very noticeable in right hand turns. On a drag car that squats a lot or is lowered it will also be noticeable on launch.

Ill be running 16" rims and wont be lowered drasticaly, so maybe Ill be able to get away with it alright?

Anyone know how much it costs roughly to shorten the halfshaft? The adjustable control arms were one of the solution ideas I was playing with, and might consider them more depending on the machining price of the halfshaft. Im still waiting for more reviews on the adjustable control arms, they seem to be holding up but at times i question the strength. John i beileve youve stated some issues before, mind refreshing my memory with your input on your thought of the adjustable LCAs from either arizona z car or MMS? Does anyone else make readily available LCAs im unaware of?