HybridZ

How to Help a Speeding Ticket in Court

CerebralSponge

Have have you survived court?

So I recently got 3 tickets with 6 points and $700 in fines. FML.

What I'm looking for is advice/measures to take to help my image in court.

This isn't a thread to brag about cop encounter stories because those threads are already out there. I'm looking for some constructive idea's on how to reduce ones penalty, or loop holes in the law that might help give one an edge in court.

In my situation, I was driving at midnight, 2 cops pull up behind me and immediatly turn their lights on. They said I was going 120 and they guessed that because they had to top out their cars to 140 to catch me. They must have gotten on the on ramp about a quarter to half mile back because I would have seen them behind me. I got 5 pts and about $550 for going 120 in a 55 (lame drop in speedlimit on the highway), 1 pt and about 150 for neglegent driving, and my tags happened to be expired.

I'm about to turn 20, 1 pt on my licence from an accident for unsafe backing (lame), and I'm on probation because of a tresspassing fluke where the guy said he'd drop the charges and never showed.

I've taken care the of tags.

Looking into Driver Improvement Programs at driving schools.

Going to meet with my neighbor who's a lawyer to help advise me.

Community Service could never hurt.

My parents and I agreed that I'd only drive to work and school as punishment and in hopes it would look good in court.

I'm going to buy a speed govenor and set it to 65 (I live in MD), but I can't for the life of me find where to get one of these. Please help.

The only edge I have is that they didn't get my exact speed. I'm pretty sure he didn't speed match me when he pulled behind me because his lights when on immediatly, and the 2 officers had differing idea's about the speed (the other said 130:().

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, especially how to get a speed govenor.

First off, slow down and take it easy. My cousin lost his license when he had a Stang multiple times and has been paying for it for years with cops knowing who he is, and insurance charging a ton. And when he didn't have a license he was limited mobility. Now that you know some consequences...

I got a ticket 94 in a 55 and brought my Mom in with me and she attested to how I had been brutally punished, and we also brought a work stub in showing that I only made $75/wk (in Hish School) and they lowered the ticket to that amount. I still got a brutal discussion.

In addition to you trying those, dress appropriately, don't get defensive, and keep your cool. They will be hoping you lose it because they will win.

I would politely question how the 2 cops could have gotten that speed when there were no radar printouts and both officers at the time had varying opinions on the speed.

You don't need a governor, just drive normal!

Thanks, I know how to handle myself in court, and know that I shouldn't have been that stupid.

One of my parents will be going with me to say that they got the registration reminder in the mail, not me, so they should seen that and paid it, but I still should have checked the date on my tags so I still assume partial responsibility.

Why did the pay stub make a difference? Wouldn't they just say "well looks like you'll need to save up to pay the ticket"

The reason for the gonenor is just to show that it's not physically possible for me to speed anymore, so aside from me learning from my mistake, I also can't possibly repeat it. And I think it's kind of expensive so it shows I was willing to pay for it.

Well, I save that kind of stuff for the road course! You better be glad you are not in Oregon! Anything over 100 mph will automatically get your car impounded, a $100 fine and a 30 day suspension, not to mention what happens to your insurance. The best thing is to find a good traffic attorney, if you have them there. Each state has different laws. Attorneys can't do jack here, but just 100 miles north in Washington state, it's a different story. My buddy has an attorney on retainer and was clocked at 150 way out in no where by the state patrol plane, so he just pays his $250 (or $500 for major stuff) and he gets off every time. So, he pays what we call a "Sin Tax" and he keeps a clean record. I'm not saying this is a reason to drive fast, but that's the only option I can think of. Good luck!!

Hmmmmmm...... three tickets, probation, expired tags, an excuse for everything ("It was lame!") AND looking for advice on avoiding punishment: I think I'm going to take a pass here on handing out pearls of wisdom.

Methinks you have more problems than your driving record.

start reading up on local laws

I always research my sates statutes and get to know my ♥♥♥♥ on that particular case before I go in.

a little smooth talk in the presentation and a little luck dont hurt either lol

I think you're headed down the wrong track if you focus on the difference in the speed each officer estimated you to be traveling.

Just for a moment, step out of your shoes and pretend you're the judge listening to some other guy with the same story. So what if the two officers are off by 10 mph? You'd still be pretty sure that the guy was going well over 100, wouldn't you? At that speed they don't have to pace you to establish an exact speed. I think you're lucky they didn't cuff you and take you to jail for reckless driving.

I think you need to throw yourself on the mercy of the court. As you already suggested, bring a parent, explain your financial situation (briefly!), dress appropriately, and sincerely eat crow. I wonder if the speed limiter would make any difference? I think you'd have to convince the judge that you couldn't work around it, which on our older Zs isn't very credible.

But lastly, and most importantly, slow down on the streets so you and those around you will live. Save the fast stuff for the track. If you haven't tried it yet, find a way (assuming the outcome of this allows it) to get out onto a track. I think (hope) you'll find that your desire to drive stupid fast on the street will go away.

And remember, if you're ever at those speeds again on the streets and someone gets hurt, with your record I'm pretty sure that you will go to jail for a long time.

Hmmmmmm...... three tickets, probation, expired tags, an excuse for everything ("It was lame!") AND looking for advice on avoiding punishment: I think I'm going to take a pass here on handing out pearls of wisdom.

You could be on to something here. Hopefully this is the wake up call needed. We all have been there and its only as you get older that you realize the seriousness of the actions.

A couple of suggestions . If you need to get the speed Jones out . Enroll in a hi speed driving class like Bondurants. Once you learn what real speed is on a race course , with a race car and learn how easily you can get into trouble . You will change your street driving habits.

I believe you have a RSX. The black box in most new cars will record some interesting performance data . It could possibly tell you how fast you might have been going. Also most cars have a speed limiter in the ECM. Check with Acura to see if they will disclose what it is set at.

If there was no radar there was no speeding. Unless they pace you wich is still up for argument. If you guess I was going 120mph and I was realy doing 115mph then I was not doing the crime you charged me with. Case dismised. At least thats how it goes sometimes.

I had to go to court a week ago for reckless driving charges... the cop was OFF DUTY and claimed I was going "well over 100" and "street racing"

Court went pretty smooth though... they told me they would clean me record if I took traffic school. So instead of a ticket showing up it says "a referral to traffic school". At least thats what the judge says...

So I gotta pay court dues and traffic school now... not too bad. I was speeding I admit but was not street racing. I might've hit 95-100 mph but didnt go over that...

There is good advice in most of the above posts but the MOST important thing you should do is have a competent lawyer who is familiar with the traffic court in your jurisdiction, in you corner. Your best course of action, IMHO, would be to have your lawyer cut a deal with the powers that be, stay out of the court room, take your medicine and pay the fine. The old saying, "A man who represents himself in court, has a fool for attorney," is all too true. Don't make that mistake!

I vote lawyer. About 3 years ago I was arrested for reckless driving on my motorcycle. It was kind of a bogus charge, not to mention the ride-along with him that day was a friend of mine, and she told me that the officer was having a crappy day and kind of had it out for me (I guess, wanted to make an example out of me), but without getting into all the details, I hired a lawyer and had the charge reduced from a class b reckless driving to a class c speeding ticket. It cost me $3500 after everything was said and done, but my record is clean.

I know Mikelly went to court representing himself and was able to have the charge dismissed. However, he is an older fella (better image than a teen representing himself) and has been a man of the law before, which I'm sure gives him more leverage and knowledge on the procedures of the judicial system moreso than the average citizen, so I view him as an exception to the rule. Lawyer will be your best bet.

Jon 74 260Z for president!

you where a victim of "guesstimation" if they never clocked you they weren't fallowing then they say "well i had to top out my cruiser to catch up to you" the reason they had to put the public in danger was because they had to make up the story before they pulled you over, also if they would have clocked you doing 120, then there lights would have been immediately on, not just catching up to you and then flipping on the lights. if all they have is "well i had to go fast to catch up to you" then they have no argument against you.

you where a victim of "guesstimation" if they never clocked you they weren't fallowing then they say "well i had to top out my cruiser to catch up to you" the reason they had to put the public in danger was because they had to make up the story before they pulled you over, also if they would have clocked you doing 120, then there lights would have been immediately on, not just catching up to you and then flipping on the lights. if all they have is "well i had to go fast to catch up to you" then they have no argument against you.

I'd love to be in the court room when you give that argument to the judge.

I vote lawyer. About 3 years ago I was arrested for reckless driving on my motorcycle. It was kind of a bogus charge, not to mention the ride-along with him that day was a friend of mine, and she told me that the officer was having a crappy day and kind of had it out for me (I guess, wanted to make an example out of me), but without getting into all the details, I hired a lawyer and had the charge reduced from a class b reckless driving to a class c speeding ticket. It cost me $3500 after everything was said and done, but my record is clean.

I second that vote. But 3500$? Holy F!

I paid 200$ to have a lawyer get my speeding ticket thrown out...no fees, no fines, no anything. He was part of a network of lawyers that regularly go to traffic court....which helps a lot! They know the DAs and the PDs.

So maybe look for a lawyer that advertises this service in your area, I would hope you don't have to pay 3500$.

My sister just had to go to court for 45 in a school zone. I really think she was going that fast as she tends to have a lead foot:icon56:. Anyways, in the court room the best thing to do is to have examples such as layouts or poster boards or whatever ways to show you put time into proving your point, instead of being ignorant and claiming vocally against the cops written statement (has higher authority). Finally, dress to impress(Wink wink) instead of showing up like a punk kid in a white T.