HybridZ

Trying for an all around car.

I am new to the whole Z world and been thinking about making mine into the ultimate car if possible. I have a '89 300zx(z31) and a Buick 455 on the stand. Now it will be some time before the motor would be ready to go in so I been thinking of what might work. With a alum. intake the weight of the motor would be about the same as a cast s.b.c. so if I add alum. heads as well it would be lighter. Size is also about the same. With just a little work it should get around 550 to 600 H.p. and around the same in torque. ( all this below 5k to 5.5k rpm)

What I was thinking or the plan is to use the motor, a six speed trans, and I also have a Winters(sp?) 10 bolt quick change rear end. With the rear I can put something like 273 gears and run on the hwy and get some good top end. Would depend on the drag the car would produce as to what top speed I can get, but I can sure gear it high. Then for road racing switch the two gears in the rear and put in something like 350's or 373's to adjust to the track( if straight-a ways are long or short). Then if at the Drag strip put in a set of 456's or 513's and see how fast she would do the quarter. I am thinking with the suspension dialed in and all the HP/ torque the car should be good for any occasion. Not to mention a blast to drive. Like I said this is something I am thinking about and not even sure if it will work out the way I think. If any one has some input or insight they can add please do so. I would appreciate any and all help I can get.Thanks

Well, the interesting thing about cars is the "all around" ultimate car is very subjective. Some might value road race capability more and make different choices concerning weight of the engine, brakes, suspension, etc. I guess the best thing is listing percentages of which aspects have which importance for you. What are you planning as far as chassis work, suspension, brakes, etc.?