HybridZ

XM radio for my Z

Arif

Looking at upgrading my stereo head unit and space is at a premium in my Z. With the SDS control pad I don't want an external XM module plugged into my radio with the mount etc. Does anyone have a radio in their car that will play XM channels without a separate controller. Seems like there should be a car radio on the market with XM built into it. I've looked on he crutchfield website but no luck.

For the most part I think the only way that your going to get a radio with xm built into it would be getting a stock radio out of a mid-late 2000s luxury car; bmw, lexus, mercedes infiniti etc. Even if you did find a radio that would fit into your Z you would have a to pay a hefty price.

As far as head units with built in XM tuners, AFAIK there are none currently in production... Alpine used to make one, but it's out of production.

If you buy a head unit with built in XM controls, however, you only need the tuner itself (as opposed to the entire control unit). Look at the XMD-1000 tuner; it can be placed anywhere since it uses the controls on the head unit. I don't know specifically what head units can control the XMD-1000, but they shouldn't be too hard to find.

Thanks guys. I decided to use the cassette adapter and just use my XM radio from my truck. The only downside is I can only play the music that I've recorded and not live XM which is ok. I'm not going to mount the antenae and docking station which will reduce the clutter.

Yeah, A lot of head units can control the XM/Sirius recievers. I really like the pioneer units, though I'm thinking I want to build a carputer with a touch screen. I should be able to get everything I need running w/ that, MP3's, WiFi, GPS, maybe even TV. Either that, or I might look at integrating one of those new lexus mouse controllers onto my center console.

speaking of which, you could make an integrated XM module holder in your ashtray. I was going to put the USB /audio input/outputs into the ashtray, so they could be hidden until use.

Phar