HybridZ

how much to cut from springs?

I don't know if it's really looked down on but new springs didn't fit into the budget this year. I have a '72 240Z that I am only using for autocross. I've stripped out basically everything from the car that's not needed for racing. I want to lower it a bit and give it a stiffer ride. New springs will be coming, but maybee not till over next winter along with new struts/inserts. How much can/should I cut off the stock springs?

Well there is a little more to it. What is your current ride height? stock? wheels/tire combo?

It is looked down upon, but if done correctly is a budget upgrade. Heating the coil, then coil/cutting, then cooling slowly (by reducing the heat, not just turning off the torch.) 1-1 1/2 coils is typical

When I was starting out with my 280, I cut out the coils and ran that way for years, and was happy with the improvement. It was noticeable.

To this day, I am running cut chevette coils, and I am happy with them. I have threads out there about using the chevette coils.

Good luck

In addition to the Chevette coils, you can buy the springs from the Tokico 280Z Advanced Handling Kit and cut them down to the height you need. But, if your shocks are worn, don't bother. Worn shocks and stiff springs are a bad combination.

The suspension in the car is stock right now and the shocks seem to be in great shape. Its riding just about stock height right now, maybe even a hair higher because of the weight removal (though it's probly not as significant as I like to think). The tires are Nitto NT01 205/55ZR14 on 6.5" wide rims.

i was told that its TOTALLY not recommended to do so... (i was TOLD)

i once had a budget e36 that i modified to cash out on. one thing i wanted to do was cut the springs. another guy who is experienced in autox racing says that it completely skrews w/ the handling of the car, will create understeer, and is not recommended...

i think he heard that from some other guy... (mythical?)

It is looked down upon, but if done correctly is a budget upgrade. Heating the coil, then coil/cutting, then cooling slowly (by reducing the heat, not just turning off the torch.) 1-1 1/2 coils is typical

why cant you just cut them with a compressor powered whiz-wheel cutter?

wouldnt heating cause the coils to variably expand?

As long as you aren't bottoming out the strut, cutting springs is ok IMO. I cut two coils off of my 280z before I had gone to this coilover conversion I'm working on right now.

sounds logical, and makes sense.

Nothing wrong with cutting springs. Use a die grinder with a cutoff wheel. Cut 1/2 coil off at a time until you get the height you want. I wouldn't use a torch, because it puts a lot more heat in the spring and that could affect the temper of the spring. Cutoff wheel is very localized heat and that's what I would use.

Cutoff wheel works, but using the torch to heat the springs, you can heat the top up, and slightly flatten the top coil, so it sits more flush with the top spring perch, and distributes the load away from just the tip of the spring. (kinda hard to picture) but the top coil on stock springs kinda flattens out so it sits neatly in the spring perch.

I only used the chevette springs because "at that time" I had seen it proven on a couple of race prepared Z's, and were extremely cost effective. Importing parts from the US to Canada, and the outragous exchange rate made looking for local alternatives worth the effort. $50.00 for a new pair! and were always in stock, as opposed to $700-$800 for tokicos (after exchange rate, shipping and our lovely Canadian taxes/import duties.) Again this was 10++ years ago.

Now chopping 3-4 coils will mess with your geometry, and will make you regret that choice.

Ahh the memories of my early days. I should start up an old school modding tip/history lesson sticky. hmmm

Nothing wrong with cutting springs. Use a die grinder with a cutoff wheel. Cut 1/2 coil off at a time until you get the height you want. I wouldn't use a torch, because it puts a lot more heat in the spring and that could affect the temper of the spring. Cutoff wheel is very localized heat and that's what I would use.

yea, that makes sense. with all due respect to zr8ed, heating the springs would allow the metal to stretch variably (depending on how hot you got each individual spring). therefore, by cutting a hot spring, you wouldnt be making as accurate of a cut than cutting springs with a wheel at room temperature.

like i said earlier, i heard it through the grape vine that cutting springs was not prefered (v8's might be different). but i should agree with justinOlson, as long as there is enough spring to condract w/o knocking into the strut, you should be fine. spring rate should actually increase by a shorter spring, that results in less strut travel.

due to an empty z, im riding 2" above stock height. i'm going with a coilover system in the next two months. that will then help me decide if i want to go 14" wheels or 15" wheels. but hey, i have nothing to do this afternoon, i'll cut my springs for the fun of it. see wat happens...

-i'll probably start at an inch, because im sitting pretty high.

(struts appear to be good)

once steel is heated to cherry red, it hits the annealing temp and loses all of its hardness properties. if not quenched properly (oil, water or air) then it will remain in its softened annealed state. while i'm sure when in compression loading, it wouldn't really pose a huge problem, but if you're using this method on something that's going to be in tension, then i'd start to worry about it.

Sideways. Why would you say that? Its been a long time low buck mod that if done correctly works very well. I have had cut springs on my Z for about 17 years now. I have thoroughly thrashed my car on the track, and have had several far more experienced drivers in my car, and they thought it handled very well. I think there is more stigma attached to it now that custom springs are much cheaper and readily available to most applications. A set of of coilovers can be had for a few hundred dollars, as opposed to a few thousand back when I started with my Z.

Again a warning that if done incorrectly, and/or cutting too much can be dangerous to your car and possibly your life.

Thanks for everyone's replies. Hopefully I'll get it done soon. Taking a little off at a time with a cutoff wheel. I just spent all weekend painting and sanding and painting and sanding. I still have more to do, but I'll try to post pics when I get it done.