HybridZ

The BMW Daily Driver Thread

Drax240z

Looking for any of your guys advice or experience on this one. I've played with BMW's for years, mostly E30's but I have a 528iT (E39) and have had an 535i (E28) in the past as well. I am looking at an E36 for a daily driver, specifically a 1993 325is.

My requirements aren't a race car, I can drive the Z daily if that's what I'm after. I'm looking for something comfortable yet fun, sporty, and a bit refined. Again, the Z is parked next to it if I want to go for a 10/10 drive and throw comfort, fuel economy and being subtle to the wind.

Any feedback on E36's, specifically a 325is? Anyone have any other options for a daily driver in that price range that meets my goals? (say, $3500-$5000)

Not looking for a huge project car, but I don't mind wrenching here and there as needed...

For the unfamiliar, here is a similar car:

2lv21s8.jpg

Edited by Drax240z

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's one of my top picks while staying in your price range for a DD if four seats were a requirement. Look into the impreza 2.5 rs as well.

They get that subie look for under 5k. It was what I was saving for before I wan introduced to my Z two years ago :)

ryan-imprezaIMG_7053.jpg

Can you have a two seat DD?

That's one of my top picks while staying in your price range for a DD if four seats were a requirement. Look into the impreza 2.5 rs as well.

They get that subie look for under 5k. It was what I was saving for before I wan introduced to my Z two years ago :)

ryan-imprezaIMG_7053.jpg

Can you have a two seat DD?

My dad just got one of these for my younger sister (21) who has always liked this cars....I would drive it as a DD, maybe even a STI swap :flamedevi

• Administrators

Richard….

Don’t do it! No, really, don’t do this!

BMW’s best selling car, the E-36, able to readily accept the LSx pretty much as a bolt in, almost as easy as the SBC S-30 Z car! At least three different companies selling LSx conversion kits… don’t do it…

http://www.vorshlag.com/index.php?cPath=1_4_63

http://www.nash8503.com/

http://www.nahrods.com/

Resistance is futile...

v8e363.jpg

276815971_U9inE-L.jpg

Richard….

Do it! No, really, do this!

BMW’s best selling car, the E-36, able to readily accept the LSx pretty much as a bolt in, almost as easy as the SBC S-30 Z car! At least three different companies selling LSx conversion kits… do it…

I think what you meant to say was... :icon45:

I couldn't resist.

Haha, now that is interesting... just what I need, another project! ;)

I'm at about the 95% convinced mark after a bunch of reading tonight. I'll sleep on it and see how it goes tomorrow, but all signs are positive.

It's been a big month for me, getting rid of a couple of FWD volkswagon diesels, and an old Miata, and picking up a cherry 528iT and likely a 325iS in their place. I'm done with driving cars that don't inspire me! You know it's been too long driving slow cars when a 196hp NA inline 6 in a 3700lbs BMW feels fast...

Edited by Drax240z

• Administrators
I think what you meant to say was... :icon45:

I couldn't resist.

:lmao:YEUP! That is EXACTLY what I'm up to myself. Selling my clean Z-32 and acquiring a BMW E-36 with intentions of installing the LSx that is sitting on my engine stand... :wink:

• Administrators
Haha, now that is interesting... just what I need, another project! ;)

I'm at about the 95% convinced mark after a bunch of reading tonight. I'll sleep on it and see how it goes tomorrow, but all signs are positive.

Here is your reading assignment...

m3029.jpg

LOVNIT.jpg

Any idea how seamless the typical install is Paul? ie: retaining interior electronics function, A/C, power steering, etc. I wouldn't want to go down that road for a daily without retaining 100% of the stock features.... including trip computer, etc.

Well, bit the bullet and picked this one up today... already recharged the A/C, fixed the windshield wipers, cleaned the interior, put in a few new light bulbs... lots more to do, but it's an easy project at this point, doesn't NEED anything, just as I have time...

187.jpg

I've been eyeing 4dr E36s to replace my wife's '97 Corolla. I'm tempted but I can't play around with my money much right now.

Other cars I've considered are Lexus GS300 and IS300 and Infiniti J30 (these things sell for CHEAP). I wonder how easy dropping a LS1 or 2JZ in a J30 would be.

Well, bit the bullet and picked this one up today...

Nice looking Bimmer! I like the color a lot--reminds me of berries or something edible, really, or maybe I'm just hungry right now :roll:

Hard to cut up a perfectly good car unless your name is BRAAP :mrgreen:

Davy

• Administrators
Well, bit the bullet and picked this one up today... already recharged the A/C, fixed the windshield wipers, cleaned the interior, put in a few new light bulbs... lots more to do, but it's an easy project at this point, doesn't NEED anything, just as I have time...

187.jpg

GORGEOUS! Nice car Richard. Love that color! Is that factory BMW color?

Hard to cut up a perfectly good car unless your name is BRAAP :mrgreen:

Davy

I weaned out on cutting up a perfectly good car. Didn't have it in me. Ended up selling the Z-32 this last weekend, now in the market for an E-36 that will receive the LSx and T-56 sitting in my shop, and I wont have to cut the car to get it to fit. :2thumbs:

GORGEOUSEnded up selling the Z-32 this last weekend, now in the market for an E-36 that will receive the LSx and T-56 sitting in my shop, and I wont have to cut the car to get it to fit. :2thumbs:

Gotta say I'm dumbfounded you got nearly as much as you were asking for that thing.... that's an assumption on my part. It was beautiful, but ... wow!

• Administrators

The new owner is Z32 savvy having owned one when they first came out in 1990, now will be retiring soon and wants another one. He had been doing his research including KBB and current street values and been looking for one for some time now, lots of them and not satisfied with any he had seen, felt this was a pretty good deal.

I'm glad it is going to a good home to someone who appreciates nice Z-32's. :wink:

GORGEOUS! Nice car Richard. Love that color! Is that factory BMW color?

Yes, its called Calypso Red Metallic.

Picked up a few more items from the BMW wrecker today, fixed the speaker grille, cigarette lighter, got the alarm system working... Also ordered some parts from Pelican Parts to fix the sunroof. Only a few more small things until the car is "perfect" again...

Also tempted by the wreckers offer of $600 for a complete black interior in excellent shape, including sport seats. Either that or I am just going to fix up what I have, as time isn't exactly easy to come by these days, and as much as I'd prefer a black interior, a tan one isn't the end of the world.

Edited by Drax240z