HybridZ

The BMW Daily Driver Thread

Drax240z

My main complaint on this car is the lack of low-end torque. Long-time HybridZ members know that I’m a lazy and unskilled driver, who would rather cart and whine than strive for self-improvement, and therefore I should probably be driving a diesel pickup with a slushbox…. but that said, on the 1992 325is (before VANOS and all those midrange torque augmentation bits) you really have to whale on the rpms to get the car moving. Handling, however, is almost as good as the hype.

Like I've been saying Michael, aint nothing a little boost can't fix! I hope all you BMW guys are aware of the power that guys are making with these motors in stock form once turbocharged!

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

Took the M3 down to Eugene fully loaded with family, (5 people in all), 2 and half hour drive one way. No real complaints from passengers during the trip.

Spent the night at my parents, let my dad drive the M car. As soon as he pulled out on the main road he wouldn’t stop commenting on how nice it was, how nice it drove, how incredible the steering felt, on and on and on. Then on Greenhill road he came to complete stop and blasted through the gears to 100 MPH! He did this several times, smiling the whole way and at times he was giggling! Every corner was met with spirited enthusiasm and finished with WIDE eyes and then and ear to ear grin! I told him of my plans and he was almost yelling at me about how perfect the car already is and that I would just ruin it putting the LSx in it. Funny thing, when I had the L-28 powered BRAAP Z car, (was just as quick as this M3 is in the ¼ mile) he was saying the same thing when I told him I was going to V-8 the 280-Z. He drove and even auto crossed that V-8 Z and ate his previous words! (that V-8 Z car ran 12.3 @113, YEE HAA!!!) My plans for the LSx are mild, retain the cars current drivability and quietness, with just that much more torque on hand. :wink:

Like I've been saying Michael, aint nothing a little boost can't fix! I hope all you BMW guys are aware of the power that guys are making with these motors in stock form once turbocharged!

I have heard similar things. A good friend of ours has an E-30 M3, mostly essentially stock, but at 2.5L, that he recently boosted and is insanely quick. RTz I’m sure will chime in with more…

Not quite stock, but this boosted BMW, literally “stealing” the show at a track day event, ALL other cars eventually pit!

WARNING! This video is a Gross display of stupid amounts of power…! :wink:

:burnout:

:burnout:

Edited by BRAAP

• Administrators

I have heard similar things. A good friend of ours has an E-30 M3, mostly essentially stock, but at 2.5L, that he recently boosted and is insanely quick. RTz I’m sure will chime in with more…

Yup, Anders has done a beautiful job boosting a nearly stock S14. Internally stock save for the 2.5L bump, a little healthier intake cam, and a Cometic head gasket (CR now 8.5:1). He's nearly maxing out four 750cc injectors... you do the math.

Anders is a Mid-Ohio record setter... suspension/brakes have been addressed as well. I've driven the car a few times and it's one of the most entertaining car's I've ever driven. He still heckles me for selling my M3.

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33808

Edited by RTz

• Administrators

Anders E30 M3 is a work of art. :2thumbs: Everything he touches he takes to this level of quality and refinement. :wink:

Forgot to add that I weighed my M3 while down in Eugene. Being a fully loaded 1997 4 door, 5 speed with power everything including heated power seats, dual zone climate control, full on OBC, just added a couple stereo amps and 12” sub in the trunk. Fuel tank ¾ full, no driver or passengers;

Curb weight; 3340 lbs.

Front; 1620 lbs.

Rear; 1720 lbs.

Front to rear weight distribution of 48.5% front, 51.5% rear! :wink:Hoo-hah…

Well, it was a hell of a day getting it (yesterday). Saw it on craigslist for $750. 87 325.

Drove to lake arrowhead to get it (quite a drive distance wise). But it game a a great feel on the wavy roads. Ended up paying $400 for it. :) We did get lost of the way back and took the long way home (ended up in hesperia on the other side of lake arrowhead).

Car isnt perfect. Not even close. But im in love with e30s. Plans for the car are to be a daily. Cosmetically i want to replicate the e30 alpina b3. Motor plans still in the air. Might slap an "I" head on the m20 motor for now to make a "super eta" motor and give it a little life. Long run I might slap a big six 3.5 (m30 i think is the name of the tag).

Pictures will come up soon. For those who have no seen an alpina e30. Here is a pic (happens to be a euro model).

01kk.jpg

07.jpg

Coolio! :2thumbs:

Tell us more...

• Administrators
Well, it was a hell of a day getting it (yesterday). Saw it on craigslist for $750. 87 325.

Drove to lake arrowhead to get it (quite a drive distance wise). But it game a a great feel on the wavy roads. Ended up paying $400 for it. :) We did get lost of the way back and took the long way home (ended up in hesperia on the other side of lake arrowhead).

Car isnt perfect. Not even close. But im in love with e30s. Plans for the car are to be a daily. Cosmetically i want to replicate the e30 alpina b3. Motor plans still in the air. Might slap an "I" head on the m20 motor for now to make a "super eta" motor and give it a little life. Long run I might slap a big six 3.5 (m30 i think is the name of the tag).

Pictures will come up soon. ...

Matt,

Looking forward to seeing some pics of the E-30. $400 for a driving E30! :shock:SCORE!

• Administrators

Having now torn into various portions of my E-36, the dash to varying degrees, heater blower motor, rear seat removal, center console, trunk panels, etc, I am finding the E36 to be VERY maintenance friendly. The use of clips and tabs is common throughout the car on various trim and other plastic goodies, strategically used in an easy to utilize and maneuver fashion. This car was definitely engineered with maintenance in mind, ave.gif unlike the Z32! stars.gif

With so many E-36’s out there, buy-in price on a good used unit is very attractive, parts prices for various non power-train related items are reasonable and affordable. If any of the power train becomes inop or overly expensive to repair, the LSx makes for a wonderful cost effective, easy to maintain alternative, making the E-36 a nice budget friendly, 4 seater capable of incredible street and track manners. A jack of all trades that performs all his duties with very little compromise… victory.gif

So far, my relationship with the E-36 has been... zomp.gif

Sounds good. Every time I read this thread I lean heavily toward the E36. As it's a car for my wife to drive primarily, I want it to be a car that I won't be doing an engine swap with so I look at the 3.0L BMW's (3 and 5 series) because they have a low 200HP engine. They're tough to find, though. For similar prices, I could snag a 2003 G35 if I watch Craigslist carefully. It would be nice to have 260HP without having to do any engine swaps or upgrades.

BRAAP, have you stated how you'll go about dropping in the LSx? Kit? Or all custom? The kits are freakin' $6k without the actual drivetrain!

• Administrators

BRAAP, have you stated how you'll go about dropping in the LSx? Kit? Or all custom? The kits are freakin' $6k without the actual drivetrain!

Yeah, I paid less for my M3 than the LSx kits cost! :shock: I'm seriously contemplating DIY, using a mock up shell of course. :wink: Today I went down to 2 of the local U-pull-it yards and a German auto-recycler, looking for driver a side sun visor for my M3 and about acquiring an E36 shell for mocking up the LSx. One of the U-pull-its had only one E36 that was "thoroughly" picked through, body looks in overall good condition, (PERFECT for a mock up mule). There several E-30 and several 5 and 7 series cars there as well. U-Pull-it told I can have the bare sheet metal shell, NO parts on it whatsoever, for $160. The German yard has a couple E-36 cars, all but one were hit in the front real bad, to the point they are useless for a V-8 mock up! I didn't get a price on the shell that would work as he is still stripping it down and I’m not really ready for the shell yet any how. Might go back in a few weeks/month and pester him a little more. I’m also on the look out for E36 parts cars or crusher destined as well.

RTz seems to have a strong interest in my M3 engine and trans for a possible Turbo charged 3.2L M-powered 260-Z project. May trade him the power-train for his help in fabbing up mounts, etc. workinprogress.gif

Michael - you need an M5. All have manual trans but the engine pulls away from 1000 rpm in any gear. TONS of low end torque. You can start on a hill in 3rd gear and hardly slip the clutch at all. (Ask me how I know).

The E39 M5 is very complicated. And pricey to fix, from what I can tell.

Hell of a lot of fun. Turned the DSC off and hit the pedal just a bit going around the round-about. It fishtailed as easy as my 500ft-lb V8'd 240Z coming around there :).

I was in traffic, talking on the phone (mostly stopped, then just a bit of go - like 3 feet max - every minute or so) today. Some guy in his 20s was in the passenger side of a Forester, and gave me the thumbs up - the headers and exhaust have the most beautiful sound - I need to capture that and upload it. Really is a true german hotrod.

Oh, I just got it in time for gas to go up. I'm getting 17mpg in mixed driving. That's with my foot on it sometimes too. NOT a highmiling car!

Really enjoying my 2000 M5. One hell of a nice car - never really thought I'd have anything this nice...