The BMW Daily Driver Thread

Drax240z

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So here's a question for everyone who knows their bimmers.

What does everyone think of the E36 hatchback model that has the E30-esk suspension? I know they didn't sell that well here, but where quite popular in europe. I figure if they can be had for the same or less than other E36 models then it'd be worth checking out for me since it seems the 3 series wagon never made it to the states, which is a crying shame.

I just figure the trailing arm rear is a worthy trade off for the cargo space combined with the large hatch opening. If it doesn't offer more rear cargo space than my S130 then it's still a pointless daily driver change to me.

• Administrators
So here's a question for everyone who knows their bimmers.

What does everyone think of the E36 hatchback model that has the E30-esk suspension? I know they didn't sell that well here, but where quite popular in europe. I figure if they can be had for the same or less than other E36 models then it'd be worth checking out for me since it seems the 3 series wagon never made it to the states, which is a crying shame.

I just figure the trailing arm rear is a worthy trade off for the cargo space combined with the large hatch opening. If it doesn't offer more rear cargo space than my S130 then it's still a pointless daily driver change to me.

To me, the ti looks goofy, "cute", like other Japanese/Korean hatch backs! Like it got smashed in the back by a big truck! Many BMW purists scoff at it saying that it's point and purpose is not inline with typical BMW standards! shrug.gif

From a performance standpoint, as a project to Hybrid or track, it is a little bit lighter than the standard E36, :2thumbs: but has the Semi trailing arm rear!

For a daily commuter, I'd consider it among other cars of similar size/function, deciding factor being if I wanted RWD or FWD for that application...

black_Wheels.jpg

summer07_800_02.jpg

Edited by BRAAP

Thanks for the insight paul.

And for those curious, the other cars I'm comparing it to for a future DD are:

510 Wagon (accidental project?)

89-91 Civic Hatch (blaa)

04' WRX Wagon ($$$!!!)

And cars of the like. I need space, usable space with easy loading. I really don't want to have to get a loan for it, so sub 4k at most. The better mileage the better right? I drive well over 10k a year, so gas prices hurt. That's why the civic is on that list.

• Administrators

510 goon... VG30E, SR20DE/T or KA24DE/T would be nice. :2thumbs:

WRX goon is also quite nice. Both offer more storage room vs the ti

The Honduh? Wear a disguise so none of your RWD car buddies recognize you in it... azzolina.gif other wise a great DD. :wink:

Thanks for the insight paul.

And for those curious, the other cars I'm comparing it to for a future DD are:

510 Wagon (accidental project?)

89-91 Civic Hatch (blaa)

04' WRX Wagon ($$$!!!)

And cars of the like. I need space, usable space with easy loading. I really don't want to have to get a loan for it, so sub 4k at most. The better mileage the better right? I drive well over 10k a year, so gas prices hurt. That's why the civic is on that list.

What are your requirements/budget? I know someone that had a Honda Fit, and IIRC they said it was very roomy/usable for the size. Light, pretty cheap for what you get IMO, looks alright, roomy. Seems like it would be the perfect DD.

Edit: Missed your budget the first time. Nevermind.

Here's my cheap (yea right) "practical" DD. The new one is a BMW so I say it's close enough ;)

First car I ever built, Frame off, when I was 15...

DSCN0162.jpg

She's an evil little beastie

DSCN0163.jpg

And the Recaro's are out of an older BMW, so it counts...

This is for you Paul (BRAPP) :)

My friend's shop http://www.tempestracing.net just did the intercooler upgrade. The car will be coming back for other upgrades you can read in the thread. Not bad for a guy who started building bad ass Honda's, he has lots of skill. He will be doing my Z's turbo piping and exhaust to say the least.

car keeps breaking driveline parts before it can max out the set up on the dyno. made 998 on the old set up, after the intercooler upgrade it was up on power and down big time on air temp....but the diff. exploded at 900.
:eek: :eek:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2616104

Picture017.jpg

• Administrators
This is for you Paul (BRAPP) :)

My friend's shop http://www.tempestracing.net just did the intercooler upgrade. The car will be coming back for other upgrades you can read in the thread. Not bad for a guy who started building bad ass Honda's, he has lots of skill. He will be doing my Z's turbo piping and exhaust to say the least.

:eek: :eek:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2616104

Picture017.jpg

SAH-WEET! :2thumbs:

Relocate those A-pillar gauges to any where but the A-pillar, and its perfect! ave.gif

Got this '86 325E a month ago. Around 250,000 miles, odometer is broken, but the transmission still shifts crisply and the motor pulls great.

What service manual is recommended? Bentley or Chiltons? I have access to alldatapro.com, which is really handy, but like to have a book on hand. Get to do the water pump and consequentially the timing belt as well.

Also, Kragen parts are good enough, right? Or do I need to got to a special BMW parts house?

100_3374.JPG

100_3372.JPG

I realized that I never showed you guys what I ended up getting. I figured that for the sort of money I was looking at, I would end up with a relatively high mileage m3, and that I didn't want a 330. I chickened out and went Nissan. Here is my new daily.

4846_561700485572_1106806_33186586_2872293_n.jpg

4846_561700500542_1106806_33186589_6326520_n.jpg

4846_561700510522_1106806_33186591_4183985_n.jpg

Just did the first real highway trip in the 2000 E39 528iT. 32mpg highway. 23mpg city. I'm pretty happy with that! I expect on extended highway (ie: interstate) it would be about 35mpg, the highway I was on had a lot of stops.

Wow! Has me rethinking the wagon again. Heck, if I could get low- to mid-20's with a 540i, I might get one of those.

No, not the Coquihalla, just the island highway (highway 1), for about 300km round trip. Heading south next weekend with the car on the interstate, I'll see how it does there. My mileage is improved due to having a wagon with a 5 speed in it. ;)