HybridZ

The BMW Daily Driver Thread

Drax240z

• Administrators

Here’s one for ya!

Pulled into a local Minute Mart, Troutdale OR, to pick up a couple Fosters last night, (not my favorite bier, just good bang for the buck). When I come out, I see this black E36 sedan pulled in next to me. First thing that caught my eye was the el-cheapo wheels, then the badging on the driver fender was glaring at me! hypno.gif Glaring at me so intensely I had to fire up that wonderful iPhone camera!whistle.gif I quickly put my delicious beverages away and made a complete orbit of the E-36 expecting more wondrous nuances. Passenger side devoid of any badging, trunk badging was OE 325i, Ricer muffler with small hole, but HUGE diameter tip! ass.gifclown.gif

HAZZ to be a previous Honduh owner, now arrived financially with his Honduh-esque Bimmer and its “V”-6! faint.gif

Loser2.jpg

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow! Has me rethinking the wagon again. Heck, if I could get low- to mid-20's with a 540i, I might get one of those.

Shaggy, with a full Magnum SuperSprint headers, cats, cat-back exhaust, and Shark Injector Race software in the engine computer, I get 22mpg on the highway. Not great, but actually better than the 91 Mitsu Galant VR-4 (20mpg highway) that I also have, and certainly better than the 16mpg highway the 6.7L V8 240Z gets :). I'd think a 540i could pull down mid 20s on the highway.

Wow! Has me rethinking the wagon again. Heck, if I could get low- to mid-20's with a 540i, I might get one of those.

Here's my daily driver 2000 BMW 540i, 6 speed that is 10 years old with 170k miles. I get 24 hwy and 20 city and would be about 3 mpg better if I hadn't put the M5 LSD in with the lower gears. :) I'm willing to live with it!

M-540I-b.jpg

People are funny.

Well, some people are funny. Others are stupid. Then there's those people that are so stupid it's funny.

I've seen SEVERAL 280ZX cars with generic V6 badges. I even had a guy who wanted to buy one of my 81's and was staring at the engine right in front of me while on the phone with a friend say "yea, it's a V6".....

• Administrators
Here's my daily driver 2000 BMW 540i, 6 speed that is 10 years old with 170k miles. I get 24 hwy and 20 city and would be about 3 mpg better if I hadn't put the M5 LSD in with the lower gears. :) I'm willing to live with it!

M-540I-b.jpg

Gary,

NICE! Love your 5.. :2thumbs:

I forgot to mention. If my father stops by, please do not mention that I have started the V-8 swap. He drove the car with BMW engine and when I mentioned the LSx he almost got mad and told me I'd ruin the car that it's perfect just the way it is. I want it to be surprise... Please pass it on to Dustin.. :wink:

Gary,

NICE! Love your 5.. :2thumbs:

I forgot to mention. If my father stops by, please do not mention that I have started the V-8 swap. He drove the car with BMW engine and when I mentioned the LSx he almost got mad and told me I'd ruin the car that it's perfect just the way it is. I want it to be surprise... Please pass it on to Dustin.. :wink:

ummm!! I'm tellin.. haha

I can't wait to take a ride in your V8 Beemer. :mrgreen:

• Administrators
ummm!! I'm tellin.. haha

I can't wait to take a ride in your V8 Beemer. :mrgreen:

Aaron! I’ll let you DRIVE the car when its done, on the twisty roads around our place no less! :2thumbs: But you can't tell DAD! Savvy? pirate2.gif

LSx powered E-36! My current desktop pic, reminder to get “mine” done!workinprogress.gif

WOW.jpg

• Administrators
Your dad will understand when he gets a ride in Ron's M3 powered Z.

All sins will be forgiven then.

Amen!

Speaking of which, I have been planting the seed in Rons head that when he gets the M-pawward Z car running, that he needs to sell it to me. That engine was incredible in my 3300 lb BMW, but in an S-30, that weighs 600-700 lbs less! :shock: Powerband is in the same range as the L-6 just LOTS more of it everywhere, so the Z should still retain 99% of its character, feel, sound etc! :2thumbs:

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

LS1 powered E30, in WA state.

Cool video, (I just received his build CD couple days ago.) :2thumbs:

Photo shoot thread these pics are from;

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=208

Build thread;

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699289

Courtesy of Garrett and Steve

IMG_57911-1.jpg

IMG_57981-1.jpg

Didn't Aziza recently purchase an E30?... :wink:

There is a thread over on Bimmerforums of a Grassroots $200X challenge build. The team has a '86 325 coupe, same as I have, and on their four wheel scale setup it weighed in at 2436 lb!!

Oddly, BRAAP is over there too . . . who would thought of that ? And the team has a VH45DE! :-D

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1343977

• Administrators
There is a thread over on Bimmerforums of a Grassroots $200X challenge build. The team has a '86 325 coupe, same as I have, and on their four wheel scale setup it weighed in at 2436 lb!!

Oddly, BRAAP is over there too . . . who would thought of that ? And the team has a VH45DE! :-D

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1343977

Did someone say VH45DE and BMW?.... :wink:

"'95 M3 with Modified 6.6L LS2, T56, for sale, runs and drives…"

VERY impressive project, and within reasonable driving distance for me to observe in person - unfortunately the linked thread now states that the car is disassembled and only the shell remains.

This whole LSx-E36 concept... definitely a brilliant, well-rounded solution! Now to go looking for completed projects on Craigslist....

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

HBZ member BrianV8Z stopped by today with his newly acquired, very clean, black on black ’95 325i sedan, 5 speed. Drives as nice as it looks! This car will also be receiving an LSx in its future. About the time my LSx powered M3 rolls out of the shop, his should be ready to roll into the shop for its transformation… :2thumbs:

Took a few pics of the car, I’m sure he’ll fill us in with the details.

Congratulations on your new sweetheart of a daily driver.:mparty:

BBim1.jpg

BBim2.jpg

BBim4.jpg

BBim3.jpg

Edited by BRAAP