Drax240z

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

So, he got a parts car for the RTz? Excellent, maybe it will get done quicker then. :D

Yeah, that's the plan :unsure::P

Thanks for the pics, Paul!

I got lucky with this one. I could probably count the blems on one hand. I caught it 4 hours after he advertised it, I was the first to see it... and I snatched it up for a whisker over wholesale.

Pete got to this thread very quickly! Yup, I bought a 1996 M3 coupe (the 2-door 4-seater with a trunk, not the 2-seater with a hatchback; I would have loved the latter, but the price premium is 2X!) over the weekend, in the Washington DC area (there is nothing worthwhile for sale in Dayton, Ohio!). It has 170K miles and a few blemishes, but also some interesting mods, and the price was right. If it's not considered uncouth to air these things in public, I'll post the price. Most M3's sell for FAR above blue-book, but this one was approximately in the KBB range. Others that I drove recently either were beaten to shreds (dangling molding pieces, body panels drilled for riceboy aerodynamic "enhancements", dashboard lit-up with shining idiot lights, milky chocolate residue under the oil filler cap), or overpriced ($8K for a 1995 with 140K miles, rattling exhaust and droopy headliner).

Only trouble so far is with the differential. It's supposedly some pricey aftermarket piece, with a (maybe) 3.7 ratio. I heard that that was the stock ratio for some E30's, but I don't have the knowledge to distinguish the E30 and E36 cases by inspection. This one is supposed to have "70% lockup" and started whining towards the end of my 500-mile drive back home.

Edited by Michael

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

If anyone is interested, Rob, aka Rao over on Bimmerforums and LS1tech is selling completed daily driven LS2/T56 BMW E36 car.

He originally did the conversion in his ’95 M3 then swapped the entire conversion and M3 suspension over into a standard 4 door E36 car. Total sleeper, should run low 12’s as is.

Here is link to the eBay ad;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190394019893&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT#v4-35

20091214backontheroad.jpg

dsc07501f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Geee. I didn't know this thread was going on.... I have owned a Cosmos 1997 M3/4/5 for a while. I have tracked it, but it is not as much fun as the Z. I have been seriously thinking of selling it for around $9500 with 230,000 miles. The only mods are Bilstiens and urethane mounts, bushings, etc. The engine, tranny, diff have all been replaced(some more than once), it all works, and it looks very nice inside and out.

M3drift.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

The one thing my car is in desperate need of is dampers. After 2 1/2 months of dragging my feet, I finally ordered an AST/Vorshlag package... http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_4_155&products_id=222

The bad news is they're on backorder. It's looking like 4 or 5 weeks before I get my grimy paws on them :sour:

Just bought this CPO 2006 330xi  6-speed, for our family DD.  43k miles, sport, winter package and some other stuff.  The stock 17" wheels will become winter wheels and I will add some black 18" wheels next Summer.  I pick her up on Monday.  I can't wait.  I'm already getting the "Oh you bought a BMW"  :rolleyes: from people...funny thing is I paid quite a bit less for this than almost any decent AWD new car would have cost...lets hope she don't bite me later on down the road too much.

897924670_da4pb-XL.jpg

897924775_fkPio-XL.jpg

Edited by cygnusx1

I still get people at work commenting on how expensive my BMW's are, while they drive cars they paid twice as much money for... Even from people that should know better. Just because my 10 year old Bimmer is twice the car their Saturn/VW/Ford is, doesn't mean I paid even close to what they did for their cars. ;)

Doing brakes on the E39 wagon today... complete brake package including 4 rotors, pads, e-brake shoes, e-brake springs, wear sensors and bolts for $500... Pretty reasonable in my books.

Yeah I drive an older car so these things must be done, but I'll take that tradeoff anyday over driving an uninspiring newer car.