HybridZ

Pressure plate issues... Broke the pressure plate bolt inside Flywheel

I broke two pressure plate bolts inside the flywheel, the front of the crank broke loose so I cant use it to get off the flywheel. The flywheel is brand new, but there are two bolts stuck inside of it for the pressure plate. Can I just use 4 bolts instead of 6 for the pressure plate?

I wouldn't try only using 4. you'll have troubles. I think you might have to pull the flywheel and drill out the bad bolts. you might get lucky with an easy out bit.

What do you mean the front of the crank broke loose? you can take a wooden wedge to prevent your crank from turning to get your flywheel bolts off.

Phar

You can use coat-hangar wire looped around the teeth on the flywheel edge and tied to something strong to keep the flywheel from turning while you get the bolts out. Or use an impact wrench. I sure wouldn't try running on only 4 bolts! I've had clutches let go at high rpm's and it's brutal.

+1 Impact wrench...

The coat hanger idea works too, I was thinking to use the wedge of wood to stop the flywheel from turning, since the wood wouldn't damage the teeth on the flywheel. Oh and replace your rear oil seal while you have the flywheel out, it's cheap, and easy to do.

Carefully drill out the centers of the broken off bolts and use the proper sized "easy out" to remove them. Use a good quality (ie. not black and decker) tool for this job. Cheap one's break out and it's a major pita! Running 4/6 bolts is unsafe, and it definitely isn't helping to balance the assembly.

well, I ended up buying a 5 dollar tool at schucks to hold the flywheel in place, ha ha. I got the flywheel off and my neighbor apparently has a drill press :), I got a titanium drill bit and an easy out to go with it, so hopefully I should have them out today, have the transmission back in, AND have extra time for some studying tonight :)

That's about what I did when I broke one of the pressure plate bolts off in the flywheel. They aren't supposed to be torqued to more than 10 ftlbs if I recall correctly. I believe that mine didn't break cleanly and had a ridge on what was left, so I stuck a small screwdriver on it and simply turned it out.

I called a transmission shop and they said that it will blow up because of the imbalance :(

the parts store will not accept my core because of the broken screw extractor.

I found someone who is parting a car out and I am getting their flywheel used for 25$ and I will get that one cleaned off and I will use that.

I ended up buying a new flywheel :(

105$ because they wouldn't accept my core :(

dang.

Well now that I have that finished, I need to replace the manifold with this header I have since I broke a bolt in the manifold that I cant get out (unless I take it to a machine shop where its not worth the cost.