HybridZ

NA Diff info?

Crash

Well, I went through the drivetrain forums here and noticed that most of the information was relating to s130 and s30 swaps. What I'm looking for is Z32 specific info.

My NA has the R200 obviously and I like that it has the 4.08 gears. Since I'll be using a T56, 6th gear with be pretty useless without 4+ diff gears. So if I swap out my diff for any reason, I'd want to put those 4.08's back in. My question is how strong is the diff and half-shafts as a whole. I assume I have the 29 spline setup with the 5 bolt flanges. I know my input flang is 4 bolts and noticed the twin turbo is different (6 bolts?).

Obviously I know that more bolts and more splines is greater relative strength. I plan to make about 460-470Lbs of torque and 470-480HP to the wheels. Will the stock setup handle that or should I be looking for a stronger setup? I likely won't be doing hard launching with the car, but I'd like it to be strong enough to handle it.

I need suggestions. I'm just around the corner from purchasing my motor and trans. I won't be putting them in right away since I still need to strip the car and build the motor. So while I'm doing all that (and waiting for more funds to come in for other random parts) I want to figure out what I should do with my current setup.

My first thought was to bring my diff and halfshafts to a shop to have everything beefed up, but realized that there's likely better solutions.

Any thoughts?

Hard launches on sticky tires is what kills the diff./axles in most cases on the NA, and if you can keep it from wheel hopping(use subframe spacers or solid subframe bushings) then it can handle it even better. But everything eventually breaks.

How much, Pizza Man? (LOL Nice name.) And what's the specs on those. I don't know too much about Nismo yet. Most of my knowledge (and what limited knowledge that is) is in American Muscle.

JMT, yeah, I blew up my stock diff on my Trans Am with drag radials... I did at least 80-90 good hard launches on it before it blew though! LOL Didn't have much wheel hop though. Once those tires hooked, the car launched like crazy.

Crash, I have had pretty good luck with the 5-bolt axles and the R200. I have put 1 diff in after about 90K miles of abuse (155k on car now). I cleaned the teeth off of the ring and pinion but the axles have stayed intact thus far. It had several hard launches on the N2O and nothing but full throttle shifts for over 2 years before that happened.

So in short it will probably break but it will take a lot of abuse before it does.

5-bolt axles?? I thought only the r230 had 5-bolt. They wouldn't fit in the R200 if they splines are different, so I assume that you found 5-bolts with a 29 spline? I'm thinking about buying that LSD from PizzaMan, but I need to check to see if I have ABS or not. (RPO code?)

I'll definitely be doing full throttle shifts as I already do no-lift shifts as is. On a stock NA motor, though, it doesn't hurt anything but maybe the clutch. Also, since the car is already in motion, there's a lot less wear on the diff when power shifting because the wheels are in motion already. For the most part, I'll be running on NT555 DR II for back tires so they'll be pretty sticky and powershifting on those could screw some things up so my rear end needs to be strong. I'm mostly worried about the half shafts and was thinking about bringing them to the guys doing the driveshaft and having them make stronger half shafts.

What's the part name or number for the 5-bolt axles? And if I were to go with those, should I be looking for a different LSD that will fit a different spline?

Ah... I just read that the 5-bolts came on the NA diffs. So is there a 6-bolt axle for the R200?

EDIT: Well after some searching around, it doesn't look like anyone does this, so the 5-bolt is what it's going to have to be. With some high grade bolts, and strong half shafts, I'm hoping this all will hold up. I'm not making TONS of power, but it's certainly a lot more than before. I won't be spraying so there shouldn't be any shock to the drive train other than hard launches and power shifting (haha, as if that's nothing).