HybridZ

Longer wheel studs for 76 280z

Someone gave me a set of old 5star momo rims, I don't like wheel spacers but this 280 is kinda a budget/see-what-I-can-do-with-least-amount-of-money-car and I absolutely love these rims but need a 10mm spacer for the front, and might run the same spacer in the back but it is not needed. But where can i get longer wheel studs for the front and back. I know at autozone or advanced they can only look up parts for a specfic car and they are usually no help.

Im probably just going to run a universal 4lug spacer off of ebay.

I don't see a problem with wheel spacers, they're essentially the same as having wheels with more offset (metal that makes the wheels stick out a little more, except that they weigh slightly more.)

Measure the threads of your wheel studs, and you should be able to get a direct-replacement here:

http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/misc_tune.html

Im cheap, and thanks for the link... It seems that quest studs are pretty long, 45mm in rear or front, and 46mm in rear or front, im too lazy to look, compared to 32mm on the 280z front, that should be more than enough for a 10mm spacer. but im going to try that as it would only be about 10 bucks from autozone.

I tried looking studs up at work and theres not too many options. i found one that has a slightly larger knurl diameter probably by only .3 mm. but only about 6-8 mm longer only. we carry studs and can match up almost any factory car studs. if you drill the knurl hole bigger, that brings you a whole lot more options using other vehicles studs.

You cant just go to autozone and buy studs that are longer because the grip mounting hole is not going to fit, if lucky, going to fit real tight or maybe even bore out a little to make it work. i check my stud catolog and like i mention, thers only a couple options but the datsuns have a specific knurl size.

Edited by piston
retype

I just swapped wheel studs on my 260z using ARP M12x1.5 studs from Summit Racing. They fit perfectly, longer than youd ever need, reasonably priced, and are probably stronger than most studs you can get. You WILL need open ended lug nuts though, remember the thread isnt stock either.

I think I ordered these, but do some searching. I found info somewhere on this forum back when I was looking for longer studs..

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ARP-100-7708&N=700+115&autoview=sku

I just swapped wheel studs on my 260z using ARP M12x1.5 studs from Summit Racing. They fit perfectly, longer than youd ever need, reasonably priced, and are probably stronger than most studs you can get. You WILL need open ended lug nuts though, remember the thread isnt stock either.

I think I ordered these, but do some searching. I found info somewhere on this forum back when I was looking for longer studs..

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ARP-100-7708&N=700+115&autoview=sku

And that's even for a set of 5! I need new studs, I might just drop the $40 and get a full set of these.

I double checked the part number and those are the same studs that I used so if you order them you should be ok.

Yes I believe Nissan is M12x1.25. As far as lug nuts, I just went to Napa and had no issues. Their selection seemed reasonable.

I think its a good deal, it worked out great for me since I had to replace stripped out studs anyway. I was rather annoyed having to basically throw away my old perfectly good lug nuts but oh well.

Oh and no, the ones in the picture look totally different from what I have. I dont know why it is that way. If you want, I can take a picture of what mine look like later but its nothing special.

Dont waste your time taking a picture... I was just making sure it wasnt the same as the pictured one, those look funky. Im going to try quest ones, if those dont work, ill order those.

Dont throw away lug nuts, ship em to me. I had like 25 spare nissan ones but I dont know where they are....

Oh and by the way, im real cheap.

I got the rear and front because I didnt know which would work, I took my dial caliper from my machining class and checked the diamater of the knurl and the rear quest ones are about .015 smaller than the front 280z studs. So I used them and they worked perfect.

l_e8d157e38ebd456da5852132c2256569.jpg

l_78b23f5bca8442bab16f0844d34bb72d.jpg

Dont mind the paint, im about to strip it down and primer it. but got my momo rims on there, after I jacked it up, it stayed up pretty high so it looks retarded........... it need suspension

l_0db881ca28bb40788ee471bdb702febf.jpg

1993 - 98 Quest rear wheel studs are 45.5mm long from end to under the head. That makes them 13.5mm (0.53") longer than the stock Z front studs, and 4mm (0.16") longer than the rear. The Quest studs will press into the Z hubs and have the same M12-1.25 thread pitch.

You can get them at most auto parts stores by asking for the application, or Dorman part number 610-403.

• 4 months later...

You didn't have to use spacers,the wheels didn't hit the caliper or the strut?

I got the rear and front because I didnt know which would work, I took my dial caliper from my machining class and checked the diamater of the knurl and the rear quest ones are about .015 smaller than the front 280z studs. So I used them and they worked perfect.

l_e8d157e38ebd456da5852132c2256569.jpg

l_78b23f5bca8442bab16f0844d34bb72d.jpg

Dont mind the paint, im about to strip it down and primer it. but got my momo rims on there, after I jacked it up, it stayed up pretty high so it looks retarded........... it need suspension

l_0db881ca28bb40788ee471bdb702febf.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Is it pretty easy to take out the rear studs from the Quest? Do you just hammer it out? Whats the best way to take out without damaging the threads?

I like using a brass hammer to remove them without damage:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42000

It's still a good idea to use an old lug nut as well.