HybridZ

differences between years 280zx rear brakes

freakshow

I have a 79 280zx with the two piece brake calipers. When I redid my back brakes I broke one of the retaining clips. I have been unable to find a replacement, and my brakes clunk. I am looking to switch to the later year 1 piece calipers, but the part number on the rotors are different, so the rotors dont match.

What I was wondering is if anyone knows if the parts just bolt on, or if I would have to change out my stub shafts and everything.

It looks like the hat on the rotor for the later years is a lot shorter, so maybe the spacing is off on the later years compared to my 79. I hope that someone has worked on both and can tell me whats going on.

you will need parts from a 1982-83.

The mounting points for the calipers on the a-arm are different. So get the entire trailing arm assembly with rotor and calipers. You can re-use the axels and hub.

Your brakes may still click or clunk. Mine always did on my 1982 Z and they were complete.

AH I have my parts Car 81 zx with that older style you have that I would sell ya hehe Good condition to.

Welp anyone else need 81 280zx Parts? including engine. just not 5-speed tranny as I need it lol But everything else that came with a 81 280zx is for sale