HybridZ

Exhaust Help!

I have a 260Z undergoing paint right now and was thinking about the exhaust. I recently put in a Chevy 350 and have two 90 degree bends into two glass packs running off of headers. I want it to be streetable but when I open it up a little bit to get louder. Its a daily driver so I don't want it to be really loud or obnoxious when I drive 3 hours on the highway to get to and from school. Any ideas and tips from what you guys got on your rides?

Run block huggers headers into 2-1/4 duals into a H pipe after the transmission, then run 2 dynomax bullets, then Y into a single 3 inch pipe right before the diff, then put a 3" turbo style muffler on the end.

The loudness depends on the rear muffler. A hooker aerochamber on the rear gets a little loud for an old guy but will make the sound you want. A large case dynomax super turbo will make it sound stock in all cases except at full throttle.

The H pipe and dynomax bullets before the rear muffler are required to stop the drone.

I built a system like this on a 77 280 V8 conversion last year. I first built it without the H pipe or the dual dynomax bullets and it was undrivable due to massive droning.

Ditto on what Pyro says about the droning you want to avoid. The key here is to run a single (or in Pyro's example dual "resonators") just after the down pipes from the headers. This will eliminate the droning at speed. The Dynomax Superturbo is an excellent muffler or you can use a Magnaflow, but your car will be louder at idle and at speed. At acceleration, the noise will be much more noticable. My own suggestion is to go with Pyro said, but an option would be to use a single stainless steel Borla race muffler in place of the dual bullets he suggested. I personally think that dual exhaust systems are somewhat overrated if you can get away with a 3" single for your application. I don't have any pictures to show you, but my system is" block hugger headers, to Y-pipe into 3" pipe, to single ss Borla muffler, to a 3" Dynomax Superturbo out back.

Search the forum and you'll find some extended threads on exhaust noise and others' personal opinions and set ups.

Davy