HybridZ

L28et head swap on a N/a L28 82'

texanredneck

My uncle said that i should be able to swap a turbo head on to my 82' N/A L28 what should i look for and on the P90 which head is better to use the hydraulic lifter head or the other? Also curious on how to swap the electronics of the non trubo afm to the turboed afm housing? (supposed to be bigger?)

How high do you want to crank the engine? If over 6.5K then go P90, not the hydraulic.

Before anyone lambastes me on this, the stock cam isn't good for close to this, and if you want a cam that IS, then go with the mechanical.

Both have the same size combustion chamber, but you will need to get a different exhaust manifold to match the exhaust ports - the manifold from an N42 I believe....

I figure enlarging the first obstacle will allow more air to be pulled to the throttle body so if i get a big bored throttle body it wont be in vaine. And thank you for that info on the cam now the stock cam of the p90 wont be good for higher rpms right? Also do you think the header for the n42 will work with my s130 style steering?

Edited by texanredneck
Didn't see the first post, for this thread.

If your not going turbo, now or in the future, the p70 head will fit your needs just fine.

A n/a cam and turbo cam have different applications (aftermarket).

So you really have to decide for youself.

Honestly, most upgrades will cause problems with fuel mixures on stock stuff.

Getting a ECU, or atleast a wideband O2 sensor will probaly be needed frist.

P90a can be made into a p90 useing the parts from your p79 and timeserts.

The cam in a p90a can NOT be used in a solid lifter application, the p79 cam can.

Just putting a p90 "turbo head" on your engine will not produce any noteable gains.

Post a buget, and some goals would help. You may find you will have to do some searching. Good luck:)

The P79 head and the P90 head will run about the same. There is no need to change the P79 head.

If you what more rpms then add a cam with more duration and lift. The turbo cam has even less duration than the NA cam. (around 8 degrees less)

I would just send your stock cam and rocker arms to DeltaCams for a cam regrind and rocker-arm resurface. Then install some 0.160" lash pads from Courtesy Nissan (Dallas, Texas). You can get the cam and rockers done for $110.00 and the lash pads for $36.00. So about 150.00, your engine will have a cam with more duration and lift.

I would only use a 260/260 degree cam with about 0.425" with stock springs and stock efi.

A stock L28 cam is around 248 degrees and 0.400". 12 more degrees and 0.025" more lift will be good for another 750 or maybe 1000 rpms of power band.

A 2-1/2 exhaust system would also help

use zddp oil additive with the new cam (http://www.zddplus.com)

Yes I do have a back up car to drive i figure this car will be down for a while if not a year so I can work the bugs out of it and stuff. So i do deff have time thats not an issue.

Also do you know where i can find a custom intake. I heard there were manufacturers that make them would you know where to start?

Yes, as a matter of fact I do. There is a little button on the top blue strip on every page called the 'search' button, and most of your questions are already answered somewhere in the forum.

I'd also advise reading the stickies, there is really good information in them.