HybridZ

Stainless Gas tank straps for 240Z

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jerry, they look absolutely fantastic. if the price point is right you could probably sell them to msa.

question-i noticed in pic #2 that there are some scratches on the tank near the 'head' part of the strap. were they a result of the 'head' being a tad too wide or from something else? thinking that a narrower head [same as strap] would also save a bit of material and allow the strap to lay completely in the factory 'groove' that is stamped into the tank.

now i'm really interested, pricing ideas yet?

Sorry no pricing yet...

And yes the scratch ( I thought you'd notice)....was a result of being a little too wide.... sort of....( and some mis-handling), The overall width is actual exactly the same as OEM but....if you look back at the previous pics of the OEM straps you will see a double bend along the edge of the L brackets. This created extra clearance that kept the edges away from the tank. Dont forget the straps are inset into the tank.

This can be overcome a couple of ways......narrower pieces or create a 45 degree bend at the edge moving it away from the tank. I have access to a big enough brake that should work.

I used an old Bicycle intertube to cushion the strap from the tank.

jerry, they look absolutely fantastic. if the price point is right you could probably sell them to msa.

question-i noticed in pic #2 that there are some scratches on the tank near the 'head' part of the strap. were they a result of the 'head' being a tad too wide or from something else? thinking that a narrower head [same as strap] would also save a bit of material and allow the strap to lay completely in the factory 'groove' that is stamped into the tank.

now i'm really interested, pricing ideas yet?

Waiting on a price too.

Did you go with an aftermarket "j" bolt because your stock ones were in bad shape or is the grade of the ones you are using now higher than stock?

Also the issue with the "L" bracket being to big, I guess you can make it a tad smaller in width or we as we buy them can put something around it to avoid it from removing some paint. I wonder if this is why Nissan had that, what I would call protective layer on the OEM straps.

Either way, excellent idea and part! Thanks for making this happen.

I am trying to get NISSAN J bolts. My dealer says they are available but has to go through Japan. He ordered 2 sets to see what happens. If they are avaulable I will order more and include them with the straps.

Still pushing for that quote but as you can imagine...my "job" is small compared to the other stuff my guy does. But IM sure he will give me a good price.

IM will also get a quote for steel straps for those that dont want shinny

Thanx Nigel

I will be passing these off to hybridz for a bare minimum profit, so the price should be right.

Ebay buyers can pay more....:mrgreen:

Great work Jerry! Add me to the list. If the price is right, I'm in for a set...

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Could you post your template (pdf or something) for those that will be reaching this path further down the road - unless you take this to production counts...

It really does look great and it's certainly one of those 'hard to find' parts.

For the J bolts - does bending a hex-head work just as well?

OK...the price for SS straps will be.....$75.00US per set (2).

And a set of steel straps will be $65.00

They will be improved upon over the first set made. Everything will be laser cut and tig welded, and the L-brakets are designed closer yet to the originals. As soon as the improved version is completed I will have pictures posted.

At this point NISSAN has not confirmed J-bolt availability. but they have priced it at $16.00 each.

I will have 10 SS sets made up over the next couple of weeks and make them available for purchase soon after. Shipping will be extra and actual cost + materials. No handling.

What do you think?

Sounds like a bargain to me. I believe ONE oem strap cost at least that much.

Are you going to make up straps for the 280Z guys too? Unfortunately, I think these will be too short for them...

Nigel

'73 240ZT

jerry, do you have a plan for material to use where the rubber on the oem straps is adhered or is that something for the buyer to source on their own?

very nice and the price appears to be very reasonable as well.

looking forward to the final product pics.