HybridZ

Stock AFM --> MAF conversion

JeffGarcia77

I found out about this on a BMW website (www.teamdfl.com/bmw/e28/induction/maf.html), then I called Modern Performance at (732) 222-3679 in West Long Branch, NJ, to ask if they could develop a Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) conversion for the 280Z-280ZX, and he told me they already have it! The price includes the MAF, cone air filter, and a piggyback computer which can control other things (like additional injectors, etc., etc.) in addition to converting the signals from the new MAF into signals the Datsun ECU can use.

I've been looking for something like this for a long time, because the idea of having the restriction of the Air Flow Meter flap (vane) in the intake tract has always bothered me. I KNOW it HAS to be holding this good Datsun engine back, in terms of power and response.

Modern Performance's e-mail address is mp23cc@aol.com I was unable to find a website for them. I spoke briefly on the phone to a very friendly, informative guy at the above number. He should be willing and able to answer all your questions by e-mail or phone.

Derek,

I believe the price he told me was $965, but you might want to confirm that with the guy at Modern Performance.

Yeah, he sells them apparently. Take a look at the link to teamdfl.com that I provided in my first post. It shows a picture of the MAF and air filter installed on a 1988 BMW (pic doesn't show much detail, but...)

I think MOST of his customers are BMW and Porsche guys (many of whom also have Bosch FI with AFMs as original equipment).

Jeff

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...