HybridZ

Suspension Recomendation for 83 280ZX Turbo

zxramman

I need to replace the front and rear springs/struts on my Nissan 83 280ZX turbo. I want to reduce the rear end squat without the ride getting too hard and stiff. I just had a T3/T4 turbo installed and the increase in power and quick spool up is very dramatic! I will dyno the car latter this week, but I am at a loss as to what direction to go with the suspension area and I am having a difficult time trying to find any vendors who even have any products for the 1983 Nissan 280 ZX Turbo.

Recommendations greatly appreciated.

ZXRAMMAN:burnout:

Ask John Coffey (JohnC) from this forum, fairly sure he will be able to advise and supply. Make of springs is not as important as the spring rate, then you need dampers that are valved to match the springs so make sure you get unbiased advice before spending your hard earned.

The suspension rubbers are probably stuffed too, understand that there are poly kits available (Energy?) for the Z31 that fit with a bit of tweaking.

I was planning to go with Tokicos on my '83 turbo. A low ride and stiff suspension are what I'm after so I like the feedback I read above.

I personally bought Suspension Techniques drop springs from shox.com for a 1982 turbo I had (actually 2+2) and I loved them. A good 1.5" drop in front, only 1 in back (could use maybe a little spring cut) Nice firm ride. I used KYB gas-a-just shocks on all four corners. That was my first and only experience with lowering a Z and I was happy with it.

I hope the Tokicos do a 1.5" drop even though they say 1" on their website.

I was planning to go with Tokicos on my '83 turbo. A low ride and stiff suspension are what I'm after so I like the feedback I read above.

I personally bought Suspension Techniques drop springs from shox.com for a 1982 turbo I had (actually 2+2) and I loved them. A good 1.5" drop in front, only 1 in back (could use maybe a little spring cut) Nice firm ride. I used KYB gas-a-just shocks on all four corners. That was my first and only experience with lowering a Z and I was happy with it.

I hope the Tokicos do a 1.5" drop even though they say 1" on their website.

I Personally like the stiff ride of my new Tokico HP Struts and Springs and I live in the Mountains and do a LOT of Cornering! And they lower about 1" as well..

been contemplating the same thing myself. The only options seem to be:

- stuts and springs (i was thinking tokico illuminas for struts)

- home made coilovers

- s130 coilovers that a member on here is going to e producing

- s13 coilovers (including s13 spindles, brakes, and hubs)

I was thinking of going for the s13 stuff. It will be the most expensive option, but I like the idea of getting to uses aftermarket s13 stuff.