HybridZ

eBay ad at top of HybridZ page... reading my history?

ShaggyZ

I was looking at cygnus' thread about getting laid off and I noticed one of the eBay ads at the top was showing 4 auctions, all of which were for Toyota Supras.

This bothers me because the page I was on did not have anything about Supras except for my own post's signature (says "2JZGTE"). I was, however, surfing Supraforums in another tab.

Do we think the ad just grabbed "2JZGTE" from my signature and used that to search the ads? Or is this looking at my history or cookies? I would be pretty unhappy and incredulous if the latter.

Point of possible interest: I'm running Mac OS X Leopard and Safari.

Yeah.

Havent you ever seen ads that say "Used cars in SPOKANE!" "Meet singles in SPOKANE!" But instead of Spokane Austin.

That one doesn't bother me because it just looks at my IP address. Besides, the Supra ads were all for Florida for some reason.

Cookie-based behavioral targeting. Very common in online advertising these days.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/making-ads-more-interesting.html

To reduce the amount of this you're seeing, block 3rd party cookies. In your Safari preferences, go to the Security tab. In the cookies section "Accept cookies:" select "only from sites I visit."

Cookie-based behavioral targeting. Very common in online advertising these days.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/making-ads-more-interesting.html

To reduce the amount of this you're seeing, block 3rd party cookies. In your Safari preferences, go to the Security tab. In the cookies section "Accept cookies:" select "only from sites I visit."

That's part of what bugs me. I already do have my cookies limited to sites I navigate to.

Yeah.

Havent you ever seen ads that say "Used cars in SPOKANE!" "Meet singles in SPOKANE!" But instead of Spokane Austin.

That only works if you don't have a constantly roaming IP. I always wondered why I would see ads for places thousands of miles away until I asked my network guy.

Guys you don't even want to see my history. I use to take the time out to delete everything until the temporary internet files sky rocketed from 21000 to 44000. Turning 18 was a glorious moment I would say, or maybe it was because I started visiting 4chan's /b section... >_>

Anonymous swayed the voting for Times 100 Most Influential Person:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/04/4chan-time-moot.html

I'm not part of that crowd ever, I'm just a frequent visitor. >_>

Never seen anything adult on this site that I'm aware of. I have on Myspace and Facebook though where it says "Want to meet a new friend" and you're sitting there in boxers eating Taco Bell saying "Hell yah, I need a friend right now".......

Then you realize the girl in the picture that's suppose to swoon you has naked pictures all over the internet and you feel cheated, violated, and let down but at least you still have your Taco Bell Double Beefy Cheesy ****ty Burrito for only $.89! Score!