HybridZ

Extending the stock LCA (non-adjustable)

Has anyone done this? I have .5 negitive camber up front on my 240z and I already slotted the towers. I was thinking of cutting the LCA and extending it to get more negitive camber. I don't have much of a buget to spend on this modification. I have some metal lying around and a welder and just want more camber without spending extra money. I would prefer adjustable, but I am not in the situation and have decided to take this route.

I'm also open to the idea of moving the mouning hole more outwards, but only if i can gain at least 2 degrees of negitive camber change.

Installing a longer LCA is common with the 240sx crowd. Many s13 owners install the s14 LCA (longer) to gain extra camber. I am at this mindset.

MY question would be, how much longer than stock must the front LCA be to gain approx 2degrees of negitive camber?

Thanks!

Yes, it has been done, I think I recall Dan Baldwin doing it by cutting the arm and then adding a piece that plugged into both sides of it and welding it all together.

One thing you need to look out for is the tie rod end length. You don't have to extend the arms too far before you start running out of threads there, and solutions to that problem aren't so easy to come by.

A couple of us have made our own tie rod ends with actual 5/8" rod ends for the outers. There are a couple of pics here: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=120668

Heh heh, can't believe you remembered I did that, jmort! It's been a while...

I added 9/16" to the front lower control arms by adding in a channel-section plug with a flat-plate overlapped and scarfed onto the inner and outer parts of the cut control arm. I don't think you can (or should anyway!) add enough to gain 2* camber! I think I got something like 1/2* out of it, for an expenditure of about $50 total. It was worth it in my book, but I'm still short on front camber (soon to be addressed).

Curious that you only have 1/2* negative camber with slotted towers. I was at more like 1.5* with slotted towers before adding to the LCA length, 2.0* after. Are you lowered at all or stock ride height?

I took 4 LCA's, (2 for each side), cut them near the middle, and them welded the longer halfs back together, so that the total length was 1/2" longer than the original LCA. Also built 2 LCAs this way for my rally car that were 1" longer. Never had a problem with either set of LCAs. Easy way to get more negative camber (or less positive camber).

I took 4 LCA's, (2 for each side), cut them near the middle, and them welded the longer halfs back together, so that the total length was 1/2" longer than the original LCA. Also built 2 LCAs this way for my rally car that were 1" longer. Never had a problem with either set of LCAs. Easy way to get more negative camber (or less positive camber).

How much camber did you get out of that mod?

On the street car with the 1/2" increase in LCA length the camber was about -1 degree. On the rally car with the 1" increase in LCA length the camber was about 0 degrees, which was an improvement over the positive camber, as my increased ride height gave me about 9 3/4" of ground clearance at the front crossmember.

On the street car with the 1/2" increase in LCA length the camber was about -1 degree. On the rally car with the 1" increase in LCA length the camber was about 0 degrees, which was an improvement over the positive camber, as my increased ride height gave me about 9 3/4" of ground clearance at the front crossmember.

hmmm, were you able to compare the increase from the stock length? for example your street car was say 0 degree then you added 1/2" to the lca, it made it -1 degree? did you compare it or did you just do the mod to the lca then check alignment?

thanks for the info btw!

• 4 weeks later...