HybridZ

supercharger rotors

so im moving forward with my supercharged z project and was wondering if anyone could tell me if this looks ok. i realize it needs new teflon strips and i managed to locate a set. im really just concerned particularly about the rotor and what you can see of the casing. thanks in advance to any replies.

pic 1_thumb.jpg

pic2_thumb.jpg

pic3_thumb.jpg

what kinda supercharger is it? looks like some type of variation of a whipple but we dont use teflon strips as a sealer. Is it a roots style or a twin screw?

i honostly cant see much from your pics, im not a "master" about it or nothign or wanna come off as one, but id say have a certified person rebuild it, new bearing teflon strips, and gears, but you prolly already know that much. while its appart you could probably get it polished or powdercoated whatever your poisen is.

edit; does it say b&m on there? and looks like a roots style to me

doesnt look twisted enogh to be a twin screw so im thinking its a roots should be 3 blades or w/e on each side if it was twin screw itd be like 5 on 3 if i remember right or some wierd set up. i hurd roots have a tendency for the manifold presure to get to high and it starts leaking backwards threw the blower, but i think if it uses that teflon strips it doesnt let the manifold pressure back out of the blower when it becomes to great but im not sure. I not a genious and such, just going off random stuff i learn from my work and internet reading, ya know?

should stll be a good fun to run set up. I was personaly thinking about doing a set up similar but i didnt want to owe my boss money for a blower and all that jazz and knowing my luck id end up wraping my 240 around a light pole or something.

lol i hear ya on that. so far my setup is a sbc 355 8.5:1 compression. i just wanna make sure the rotors look ok for normal wear and tear and that im not buying a door stop, that and im buildin this from scratch and dont wanna grenade it the first time i fire it up :)

I would call RBS Superchargers and talk to JR. They probably rebuild them and the website can give you an estimate on how much it would cost.

http://www.rbssuperchargers.com

Complete Blower Restrip:

Prices starting at $350.00

Includes 4 seals, teflon and nylatron, inspected and clean blower, check timing and all surfaces of supercharger.

I have used them twice and now I use Littlefield.

John

cool guys thanks, this guy has a really good rep selling race stuff, and from what hes told me the unit came off a running motor that lost a lower bearing (overboost on a stock 10:1 motor). he says it turns by hand with no binding and looks like it was taken care of. the front shaft doesnt has play and the rotors dont clank when its turned. i think im gonna go for it, im getting a holley double pumper, the blower, the intake manifold and a full stackf fuel chiller, and ill have to find a lower pulley somewhere (holley has em but man 200 bucks for a pulley?????). anything else you guys can think ill need for this setup?i was reading something about guys venting the crank case into the exhaust, but i would think the exhaust would have more pressure than the motor would

I would suggest some more research to figure out exactly what you're going to need before buying an incomplete setup. Then you won't have any ugly surprises. By the time you buy all the missing pieces, it may not be much of a good deal.

jt

I would suggest some more research to figure out exactly what you're going to need before buying an incomplete setup. Then you won't have any ugly surprises. By the time you buy all the missing pieces, it may not be much of a good deal.

jt

LOL....I suggest before you go worring about parts from the intake up you tell us what you have done to your 355 SBC to make it ready for a roots blower.

LARRY

thus far the block is at the machine shop. its being reslugged 30 over with dished hyper pistons (sealed power) and chrome molly rings. i picked up a set of edelbrock 202 575 lift heads that have been ported and polished and flowbenched. These are the same heads that edelbrock sells on thier supercharged crate motor. crank has just had a fresh turn to 10/10. picked up a true double roller timing set. got a head stud set in the 190k psi range. im currently looking for a set of roller tip arms but havent decided on 1.5 or 1.6 and im not gonna buy the cheap ass ones. ive got a street chiller intercooler and a holley double pumper carb. im still deciding on which ignition box i want but im leaning towards the msd, the mallory just seems outrageous. cam grind is still up in the air, but ill need it soon to start checking valve/piston clearances. thus far my compression comes out to 8.5:1 and i can mod that a little by throwing in a thicker or thinner gasket. im planning on running 6-8psi boost. from what ive heard the 144 is good up to 10, is that correct?

ya i know on the pistons, but as long as you run good gas, keep the mix rich and retard the timing a degree or 2 every few pounds of boost everything should fly right. i do agree that the forged would be better, but i just cant dish that kinda cash out yet.