HybridZ

What do we think of the Remington 7xx guns and a .270 round?

josh817

I can obtain one if I get my paintball stuff out for a good price. Don't play anymore and as long as my guns fund guns I'm cool with that rather than dipping into my precious Z money. I have a simple Ruger 10/22 that I received for my 16th birthday. Pretty much family tradition. I'm not big on guns but I'd like to have one hand gun, the 10/22, and then one serious business rifle. Not really liking anything past .300 because they start to get a bit expensive. At least with the 10/22 I can buy 2 bricks of 100 rounds for under $30 :icon44: have a nice day at the range. I can either buy a hand gun later or just wait for Dad to pass down his. I believe he has some sort of black powder revolver, Ruger Standard Model 22LR, Thompson Contender with no cool barrels :(, Colt .45 Gold Cup, and his first 10/22. My buddy is looking into an Enfield since they're so cheap and he likes the larger calibers, if you call .303 large. I like the gun, hate how it loads, hate the ballistics of the rounds, and hate how its a .303 and costs $30 for 20 rounds I think he said.

I know a .270 won't be much cheaper if at all but I can get a new Remington 715 cheaper than the Enfield, still bolt action, and shoots some good ranges. The .270 seems to be a good moderate round whether I do varmint or deer hunting, although I don't hunt at all a gun is a life time investment so maybe I'll change my mind. I WOULD choose a .17 HMR due to the crazy velocities those little suckers fire at, but it only lasts for 100 yards so the coolness is short lived.

Lastly, I can find youtube videos all day of a Winchester .270 but nothing of a Remington 715 .270, mated with the low price I found, makes me worry about what I would be getting myself into. And no, I'm not buying a Winchester .270 because I do not have that sort of money. Below $400 please. :mrgreen:

I may wait for another weekly gun show North Texas has... Go see one for myself, see if I like how it feels and such. Dad speaks all this crap about buying a heavy barrel and this and that for my 10/22 but lets get real here, the thing shoots at velocity similar to a high performance barrel pump bb gun. My buddies barrel pump bb gun shoots at 1100 fps, neither of the two have much of any recoil, so a heavy barrel thinking you're going long range is like... no. Thats just me though!

.270 WSM compared to two .17 Remington counter parts:

dln7rc.jpg

The .17 rounds shoot pretty flat but lose too much energy.

Voice your opinion, none pertaining to buying some other far off gun. If you want to recomend something else, make it a .270 please. :icon56: More so interested on hearing about this guns qualities and its crappy parts.

Nevermind, just read about it and heard it was ♥♥♥♥ all over. Then again, not really looking for anything serious but when people say the gun won't group, I have a problem. Time to look into some other stuff but please, lets still discuss the .270 as I am still highly interested in it.

Edit:

Ah shucks, for $250 I can get a 770 .30-06 and a scope. It clicks and rattles and the bolt isn't silky smooth but hey, I'm not looking to be a sniper I'm just looking for a fun gun that packs a little umph. Don't know if I want that .30-06 though...

Even more ah shucks is that for $375 I can get a nice wood stock 721 .30-06 with scope. So really its like, 770 and get a heavier barrel and a bipod with extra money, or 721. 770 seems like one of those teen toy guns and I'm not sure if I like that.. All these videos I see are of like some 14 year old who just got his mangy hands on a gun he doesn't really know how to use just yet. Then again, not looking to be too serious. I'll just wait until I sell my stuff and base my purchase off of that.

Or maybe just stay out of the gun world because I'm having one of those man moments...

My suggestion would be to shop around and find a nice used Model 700 in the version and caliber you like. I think it's a lot more rifle for not much more money.

jt

My advice as well. A gently used 700 in .243, 7-08, .308, (short action) or 25-06 .270, 30-06, (long action) would be my recomendation. What is your intended purpose for this rifle?

I have a plethora of long guns from the .17 on up to 45-70 in a sharps. For an all around rifle it is hard to beat the .270. Ballistically it is very flat shooting. I have a a .270 and I shoot a 6.5-06 custom built rifle and I can tell you they are amazing.

The .270 is one of the cheapest loaded rounds you can find, where typically the 30-30, 3006, 308 and 270 in that order are the most popular rounds. It is versatile with bullet weights ranging from 90 grains up to 150 grains. The 130 grain is a good all around bullet weight. It is an extremely accurate cartridge and if you get one you won't be sorry.

The 25-06 is a little light for the bigger game like elk especially at the longer ranges. I have one in a heavy barrel varmint 700BDL. Shoots great, but you will like the .270 better IMHO.

My suggestion would be to shop around and find a nice used Model 700 in the version and caliber you like. I think it's a lot more rifle for not much more money.

jt

+1

Can't beat them. I've got a 700 BDL in 30-06. Awesome rifle. I traded up a savage 30-06 after trouble with their double trigger mechanism. I had originally wanted the BDL, but opted for the savage for it's reputation of "out of the box accuracy" and considerable price difference between it and others. I wasn't to impressed with the action. Sloppy, loose bolt too. IMO... spend a bit more and get a good one. You can find a decent used 700 at used gun shops. Just like anything else in life, you get what you pay for. 700 model remingtons have a rep that has withstood for YEARS.

I agree with jt1 on the used bit. The pawn/gun shop in my area has probably a hundred used deer rifles on the shelves. While you might not be able to pick a model in the caliber you want and walk in and find it, there is bound to be something on your local pawn shop or gun store that suits your needs for a used but higher quality/accurate weapon better than a brand new cheap rifle that you can buy for close to the same price. .270 has always seemed to me to be a very useful caliber. It may not have the 4000 fps that the .17 does, but it is a much more useful rifle in general.

Yah I'm poopooing the 770 I just looked at last night now. Reviews said the bolt is a little sloppy and sticky and it shoots alright and that sounds like something I would want because the gun is just to go out to the range and play around. My sisters fiance is one of those cowboy sort of types and he has access to some land that you can do whatever on, good for long range fun.

I'll hit up the pawn shop later on. My buddy is now flip flopping between guns since he can buy a p35 from his dad. If I go to the range I want someone to horse around with damnit! Oh well.

Also, the Accutip .270 WSM rounds are firing at 3200-3300fps :] Close enough to 4000 eh.

Yah I'm poopooing the 770 I just looked at last night now. Reviews said the bolt is a little sloppy and sticky and it shoots alright and that sounds like something I would want because the gun is just to go out to the range and play around. My sisters fiance is one of those cowboy sort of types and he has access to some land that you can do whatever on, good for long range fun.

I'll hit up the pawn shop later on. My buddy is now flip flopping between guns since he can buy a p35 from his dad. If I go to the range I want someone to horse around with damnit! Oh well.

Also, the Accutip .270 WSM rounds are firing at 3200-3300fps :] Close enough to 4000 eh.

To each his own and all that, but how hard is it going to be to find that .270 WSM ammo, and is it worth the cost difference vs the old .270 Winchester? I suppose if you don't mind mail ordering it that might not be so bad, but I think it much less likely that you could go to the corner gun store and buy it off the shelf. How popular is that round? Is it going to die off and then you'll have to buy brass at big $$$ and reload it yourself or pay an even bigger premium on mail ordered ammo?

Price comparison:

.270 Win:

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=10480_14658_14743_14904_14794

.270 WSM:

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=10480_14658_14743_14904_14795

Yes I'm just saying if I ever had the urge to shoot something nutso, well then there you go! :P

I'd like to think a handgun would have more purpose than me buying a rifle, but I don't like thinking the only purpose is self defense which means shooting someone. I'm sure in the rush of the moment I could pull the trigger but thinking about it without the adrenaline pumping is a ****ty thought. So really I'm not sure which I would get. A rifle seems like more gun for the buck seeing how the nice handguns are in the same price range as the rifles I'm looking at.

I have a 1940 SMLE in .303, it's my everyday bash about gun. I've also got a Paker Hale Safari which is bult on the Mauser 98 action that I use when a little more accuracy is required.

I'd agree with the advie above, go to a used gun shop of some osrt, be it the local sporting goods store, the pawn shop, or the local gun show, pick up a good quality older gun and enjoy the higher quality and better reliability.

The newest rifle I have is a 1980's ruger 10/22 I inherited when my dad died, my oldest is an 1898 MLM, which was armoury rebarreled in 1903 to a MLE.

Old guns are nice guns if you find one in good condition.

It's like the datsuns, which would you rather have? A cheap modern ford Ka or a nice old 260z thats been looked after :D

I'll go ahead and toss a +1 for the older guns. I found a nice Mauser '98 in a gun store on consignment that had been fully worked. It's a scout rifle and it seems the previouls owner was a big guy and it didn't fit him well. new everything, with a scope, chambered in .308. shoots like a dream.