HybridZ

I need an EFI book

AkumaNoZeta

I've been looking more into the engine management side of things lately but...lets just face it, reading a book is easier and more fun then reading something on the computer monitor that makes your eyes hurt after a while. So I was wondering what books out there are good for learning more about EFI systems? Are there any books that deal with MegaSquirt II specifically? I want a good book that also deals with injector and fuel pump sizing. Everything I find on sizing use only use horsepower and number of injectors to find the rating needed. I feel having an eqaution based on CID, PSI, compression ratio, and etc would be more accurate.

• Administrators
So I was wondering what books out there are good for learning more about EFI systems?

Jeff Hartman's "How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems" will keep you busy for a while.

I feel having an eqaution based on CID, PSI, compression ratio, and etc would be more accurate.

You're not trying to size an injector spot on... you should always have some headroom. Here is a good calculator... http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx?UserID=1647677&SessionID=B4uMm8ML2rvePEkeHHmJ

Edited by RTz

Maximum boost by Corkey Bell is a must, it goes over sizing injectors and the such as well as fuel requirments compression ratios......ect

Building & Tuning High Performance Electronic Injection by Ben Strader is also a pretty good book, goes over imputs and outputs and diffrences between diffrent types of sensors and all. It also goes over specific Engine managment systems, although MS isn't one of them

You could always print out the megamanual if the screen bothers your eyes. It's one of the most informative things I've read about EFI.

The reason injectors and fuel pumps are sized by hp, # of injectors, and pressure requirements is that hp is all that really matters. By using a formula that includes displacement, boost, VE, and all that other stuff, you're essentially trying to calculate hp and injector requirements from that. Also, there isn't really a penalty for going too big , unless you get to the extreme end of things. But by then you should already know how to fix/avoid that.

Why didn't I think of printing it out? Now I feel really dumb. The reason I was going for another way to calculate the fuel requirements is because I was shooting for an overall efficiency, not the highest horsepower. But I understand now.

I would say Jeff Hartman's book is lacking in a lot of areas. I don't find the information organized as well as I thought it should, but the book does have it's strong points. I find that the "tuning" stories in the later areas of the book are all fine and dandy, but I seriously would not know where to start in terms of tuning if I just read that book.

I KNOW there is never a step-by-step for even tuning 2 or 200 of the same engines,cars, etc... but It IS lacking in that respect. There is no "scheduled" approach for tuning based on adjusting timing, adjusting fuel, target afr's (yes I know there is a rich/lean target chart somewhere in the book) and when to do what as a general starting point... something a TUNING book should have, if you ask me.

It's a good starting point, but if you know what a distributor, knock sensor, oxygen sensor, coolant temperature sensor, and air flow/pressure meter does, and how it correlates with the sum of all the sensors readings, then I doubt you'll learn much.

That's just what I came away with from the book. Still wondering when I get my EMS installed... where do I go, short of running a base map?

I would still love to find a "text" book training-like manual for starting a tuning process... things to calculate, maybe some information trees to branch off of if you have this or don't have that, etc...

that would be great to read to also diagnose improper running conditions if you work backward.

if hes talking about the efi101 I'm thinking of, then its not a book, its a class.

http://www.efi101.com depending on what you already know it can be VERY informative or not at all. A local guy has been tuning for years and didn't get anything out of it, but some others with a nice bit of experiance learned quite a bit. For someone who doesn't have any tuning experiance it should be a nice bit of info. It can be quite pricey and its only in select places, so you may have to travel.

That looks like a very good class. But alas, I don't have $500 for that. I figure for now I'll just read How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems and then invest in that class when I get closer to actually being able to tune a car.