HybridZ

350Z SR20DET Drift Car buildup :)

SR240Z

Yes this is for real! We are in the midst of building the roll cage for our 350z to Formula D rule standards.

The car is going to primarily be a competition drift car which I (Alex) will be driving. I will be documenting progress on http://www.AlexVillabrille.com as well as through this thread. I was able to get some semi-sponsorships to help with the build from JustDriven.com, M1 Autosports, and Dynamic Autosports.

Attached are some teaser shots for your viewing pleasure:

IMG_0708_thumb.jpg

img_0975-300x225_thumb.jpg

img_0979-300x225_thumb.jpg

img_0985-300x225_thumb.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool project, cant wait to see the outcome.

Last time I talked with Alex, he said they were doing it because its what they know and what they have...in addition to being about 1000 times easier to work on in the car....which I completely understand. However I have to disagree with ruggedbert. The sr20 can make more power then what vq? Sure a built Sr can make more then a stock vq...a B18 can make more then a LS1. But build em both, and then whats yer result?

The vq will always make more torque, will always have more midrange, and I would argue the potential to make more power....and depending on the turbo setup the weight difference isnt going to be that substantial...I have a feeling I know where the VQ is going anyway.....:)

BTW alex whats the weight comparo between the fully loaded SR20 (turbo, intercooler, piping etc) compared to the NA vq? Just curious.

Were doing the sr20det because we already have a completely built and proven drivetrain from our 240z. The setup has never ceased to amaze us and will make the engine bay relatively easy to work on in between events and maintenance.

Austin: Im not sure on the weight differences since we dont have an engine hoist scale but the VQ is a very stout motor.

I'd like to see wieght figures of the car after its built. Theres a 350Z in a DSport magazine I had that said they were able to lighten it to around 2500 lbs if I remember right. I don't remember if it still had the VQ or whatever.

And I always thought of them as heavy pigs because they came from the factory at what? 3300lbs? When I looked at the picture of the SR in your engine bay my jaw dropped because I couldn't believe how much extra room there was in there, I really like that.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

I don't have my license yet but from a few practice events I've gotten really good feedback from fellow drivers to go out and get my license.

As of right now the cage is all tacked in... our roll cage guy just has to make the door bars and then do all the final welding.

that sr looks like it would be very easy to work on as you said, very clean install. How long have you been drifting for if you don't mind me asking? If you good enough to try out for a FD license after only driving a few times then you must be a drift prodigy! :-D can't wait to see some pics of this going sideways.

Austin: Right now I've been practicing in a Nismo R-tune 350z until i can get my car ready for some test and tune runs :)

Young Z: Been drifting for just a few months now.... I just hope i can live up to the people's expectations that are backing me.

Dave: Its not perfectly good when it comes automatic!!!!!!!!!!!!! Next time we go to the track you have to come out!

Grim: Well the VQ is just sitting in the corner of the shop (Complete engine with all accessories, complete harness, ignition and ECU... No trans) I want to sell it but prices for VQs have gone way down and its not even worth it really. It only has 16,700 miles.

Most of the cage is all tacked in... tomorrow just need to do the door bars and finish all the final welding.

Here is the progress from today attached:

img_0986-300x225_thumb.jpg

img_0987-300x225_thumb.jpg

I was comparing a stock VQ to a built SR20det. I guess its not a fair comparison. I don't have any numbers on hand, but I'm willing to bet that a sr20det with all turbo components is going to be lighter than a turboed VQ setup!

Very cool project, cant wait to see the outcome.

Last time I talked with Alex, he said they were doing it because its what they know and what they have...in addition to being about 1000 times easier to work on in the car....which I completely understand. However I have to disagree with ruggedbert. The sr20 can make more power then what vq? Sure a built Sr can make more then a stock vq...a B18 can make more then a LS1. But build em both, and then whats yer result?

The vq will always make more torque, will always have more midrange, and I would argue the potential to make more power....and depending on the turbo setup the weight difference isnt going to be that substantial...I have a feeling I know where the VQ is going anyway.....:)

BTW alex whats the weight comparo between the fully loaded SR20 (turbo, intercooler, piping etc) compared to the NA vq? Just curious.

Cage is almost completely finished... The front gussets were done, entire cage is completely welded and ready to rock except for the door bars.

Doors bars are already made and ready to be tacked on and welded but we ran out of gas today :(

Here is today's updates:

img_0991-300x225_thumb.jpg

img_0992-300x225_thumb.jpg