HybridZ

What starter do i need? T5 trans - sbc

I went to get a starter for my z which im putting together and it has a t5 out of an 84 camaro and the block is a 350 from like a 78 chevy truck and a 153 tooth flywheel between the two. So i figured that i could get a starter for an 84 camaro with a 305....WRONG...Doesn't fit at all. What starter should I be asking for at the parts store?

The bolt pattern to the block was wrong wasn't even close ( and i thought that all sbc had somewhat of the same mounting pattern on the block with the exception of some being drilled for a diagonal pattern and straight pattern). And the nose didn't even come close to the flywheel...Im going to go today and pick up another starter from a different parts place cause im starting to think that it was boxed wrong or something.

Yea the 153 tooth flywheels all use the straight pattern where all other sbc's use a diagonal pattern. I thought all of the 3rd gen camaro's used a 153 tooth which would mean that an 84 should work according to JTR.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out DB Electrics -- they make a good selection of well-built starter motors at GREAT prices. I've been using this unit in my car for 8 months without a problem; I like the fact that it's a mini (only 7.5 lbs) and high torque. I REALLY like the fact that it only cost $55.

http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/Items/Item.aspx?SKU=sdr0031%20/%20pm300%20-%206562&caSKU=sdr0031%20/%20pm300%20-%206562&caTitle=NEW%20Chevy%20305%20350%20454%20Mini%20Racing%20PMGR%20Starter%20HT%20PM300%20SDR0031

Good luck to you.

Edited by jhm
fix hyperlink

• 1 year later...