HybridZ

!!!!!!!!fail safe mode!!!!!!!

my 86 300zx will not rev up past 2800 or so RPM! I dont get it ive drained the computer and ive manually cleared the codes. nothing is working this time.... it was this way when i got it. i let it sit without a battery in it fir a month. started her up one day to move her, and it revved up just fine........... and now the problems back. does anybody know a z31 genius??????? :shock:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

unplug the tps (or I guess pull the wires out) and see if that cures the problem. Then check the maf per the fsm. You don't really need to pull it out of the car. Pull the rubber boot back so you can see the connections. Push pins in the appropriate lettered connector then with some japanese jumpers and a VOM you can get the readings. You need to run 12v to pin E with the engine off to get one reading. Then start the engine (pull the 12v wire first) and you get the reading specified when you blow air thru the device. If everything else checks out you might want to cut the purple wire at pin 29 at the ecu. This is the overspeed limiter. Spent two weeks on an 85T swapping ecus, mafs, tracing wires to no avail. After much cussing and head banging found that to be the problem. Also you can exceed 137 mph if that fixes things.