HybridZ

4WD 4L60E for 2WD application ?

TheNeedForZ

Greetings,

I have a question about using a 4WD 4L60E (from a 2004 GMC Sierra) in a 2WD application (my engine is a 98 Camaro LS1, Car is a 260Z). Is the 4L60E used in the 4WD application (trucks) basically the same as the 4L60E used in 2WD application? or are they totally different animals ? I do understand that they share the same bolt pattern, I am not sure if that's where the similarity ends, but I hope I can use the 4WD auto trans in a 2WD application without too much modification.

TheNeedForZ

I would assume that the 4wd version would be longer because of the transfer case. I would think you can still run it, if you just kept in 2wd, but then it would be heavier and fitment in tunnel would be awfully tight.

they are the same except the output shaft in the 4wd is shorter than the 2wd and you would need to find an extention housing, unfortunatly you need to tear the whole tranny apart to change the output shaft, ive had to do swap a 4wd to a 2wd once