HybridZ

Who has ac in their rb?

voltron_boi

This summer im planning to swap a rb25 into my 74 260 that already have factory ac system in it. It's going to be my daily commute car for the summer. I was just wondering if any z rb has hook up ac in their car. My question is are their any custom fabbraction need to be done to the lines? Or is it a bolt on? Please reply.

Ah, the eternal contradiction of power vs. comfort. You've touched upon the conundrum that confounds many of us here on HybridZ, including myself. It's that very reason that I am second-thinking following in 240hoke & EMWHYR0HEN's collective footsteps and going the VQ35-into-S30 route. I too am a SoCal native, and would like to retain/use A/C with a swap.

Yes, it is possible. Yes, it takes custom hoses. They aren't that expensive, any A/C hose repair shop should be able to make them.

I believe ww (Wade) has A/C in his RB26DETT '72. A/C, power windows, Porsche 996 brakes, seats from the same, maybe power steering too. Seriously amazing build. See link for pictures.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=136411&page=11

• 7 months later...

I too am interested in an rb25 swap but am debating it because of the a/c issue. I do have a common knowledge of the a/c system and repair and the only question i have is even if a custom a/c job is done how would the shop know how much refrigerent and oil to put into the system? If any a/c gurus could shed some light that may help me decide to do the rb swap or not.

haha but will they? I've never put in a custom a/c kit but have installed compresors, condensors, evaporators as well as oem conversions. Only the new compresors told me how much pag oil to use. and of course put in the needed amount of refridgerent and pag oil the system required (which was on a sticker somwhere in the engine bay). I guess i just need to call an a/c shop and see what they have to say.

• 2 weeks later...

I have changed 100's of a/c units at a previous transport truck assembly job and always questioned how do you know how much pag oil is left in then system after you drain the r134a?! basically the mechanic told me there is no way of telling. . and only guessing is possible! lol

Any decent A/C tech should be able to determine the charge rate using gauge readings and, more importantly, temp readings on the input and output of the evaporator. Its all science, but not an exact one. Once they determine the charge rate, you can document it for future use.

The PAG oil issue isn't so much a mystery if you follow the FSM for the system the compressor was originally used on. Assuming you are using all new components, which ideally you should, the amount of oil indicated in the FSM should cover you. If the compressor isn't new, you should drain as much oil as you can from it and refill it according to the FSM. If I remember correctly, the general rule for other components is 2-3oz of PAG for each new condenser, evaporator, and receiver/drier. New compressors usually come with instructions on how to calculate the oil charge. They have you drill a hole in the bottom of the old reciever/drier, measure the oil that drains out, and do some basic math to calculate the amount of oil to add. Overall, its generally better to have a bit too much oil rather than not enough. VERY IMPORTANT: Different compressors use different weight PAG oil. A bottle of OEM spec oil is way cheaper than a new compressor. PAG100 is not universal!

If your components are from a system that has been disconnected or has had a compressor failure and new parts aren't an option, it is wise to thoroughly flush each component out with solvent based a/c flush (or brakleen) and massive amounts of compressed air. Any orifice tubes, expansion valves, mufflers, receiver driers, or accumulators should be replaced.

A bit overkill, I know, but hopefully that about covers it for others as well. That's all from my experience dealing with customized A/C setups in limos and shuttle buses.

• 1 month later...

Ha, another good info! Maybe it's an undercover mod that wants to bring all the good topics to the top!

You stuffed the rb compressor in there Mike?? How did that work out?

So two people have a/c huh? Blak you better get in there on the Z35 forum, it's looking pretty shabby. They're starting to plea for anyone in the galaxy with a hybrid350, it's quite sad. :P

Anyone heard of http://www.vintageair.com/ ? I vaguely remember someone on here going that route, don't remember who, but it seemed to work out for him.

With Texas summers in the future of my Z, AC is a necessity for me to use my car where I live most of the year, made only worse by the fact that I'm going to paint it black.

Since I don't have any of the original parts from my RB25's donor car and I also want to simplify the under-dash system in my Z, the plan is to use a classicair or similar completely custom solution to putting AC in the car. That way everything that goes in the car is new, modern, and hopefully works the best.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on using the RB compressor with the old aftermarket AC evaporator. I was thinking about using string to estimate the lengths for the custom hoses. Any better ideas for doing hose mock-up?

Some household copper wire or welding rod if you want to be able to bend it into the general shape for a better mock up. Otherwise if you have a long flexible rule like machinists use. Or a strap tape like tailors use so you don't have to measure the string or worry about it stretching.

themoreyouknow.jpg

A/C is a big concern for me too. Since my built will be a street/strip car(Mostly street). So I'd like to have A/C in it. That is one of the main reasons why I want to get a complete clip. I already have a A/C system from a 77 280Z, so it should be a simple matter of connecting the Skyline system to the donor A/C unit. Simple might not be the right word here, but I can dream can't I. LOL

You stuffed the rb compressor in there Mike?? How did that work out?

Anyone heard of http://www.vintageair.com/ ? I vaguely remember someone on here going that route, don't remember who, but it seemed to work out for him.

Yep, the RB compressor went straight in there, no problems other than my front sway bar was close to one of the lower adjustment pulleys so I spaced it down slightly (the sway bar). As I said I used the Southern Rods unit - was cheap and excellent & fitted no worries. Another guy here has done the same. In Aust we have weather like Texas I would imagine so it is a necessity. I looked at using the original Z evap system but too old and crappy. Use all the RB stuff on the motor and either Southern Rods or Vintage Air evaporator. The motor has tons of power to deal with the compressor and use all the GTR OE bracket stuff for the RB26 (in my case) or RB25