HybridZ

Skylines...

Rustyfriend

Seriously, what is the big deal with having a Skyline in the United States? I know people discuss this all of the time, but I always hear information that conflicts with other information. I always seem them dirt cheap, like $7k, in Canada and in the description is always says that if the buyer is in the US the car will be cut in half and shipped that way. What is the deal? How is it possible to legally own and drive a Skyline in the US?

The big deal is that Skylines were never imported to the US by Nissan, and as such they did not undergo crash or smog certification for the US. There was a company that was legally registering Skylines in the US, but they had to provide a Skyline for crash testing and then perform modifications to the car in order to make it legal for street driving.

plus, besides the smog and crash testing, the US has a 25 year cap on importing cars. So combining both of those and it's virtually impossible for the average buyer to import and legally drive a Skyline. The only way now is to find one that is already driving legally in the US.

In Canada, they're a Dime a Dozen...and as such the prices are far less. Still the same story to import them though. Although, for $7k, most likely the cars you're seeing are GTS-T's and aren't really worth more than an S13 with a RB swap.

or the way most people do it, is pull the driveline and ship the chassis and engine seperate as "parts" then put it back together in the states, make it conform to DOT safety standards and register it as a kit car. then just buy a salvaged s13/14 and use the title and VIN's off that car to say you built it off that platform, simple as that, ive seen it done alot when i lived in cali.

The big deal is that Skylines were never imported to the US by Nissan, and as such they did not undergo crash or smog certification for the US. There was a company that was legally registering Skylines in the US, but they had to provide a Skyline for crash testing and then perform modifications to the car in order to make it legal for street driving.

To add to this, from my understanding, the company crash tested only the r33 chassis (it being the least desirable) and applied the results to the R32 and R34 to have them "legal". Then after that, they need to somewhere in TX to a FED emmissions facility to become smog legal. So price of the car, on top of the:

import tax

shipping fees (to the USA, to TX, then to where ever you are).

labor fees

ect

prices start to add up.

Well the company in question has since been long gone. I think they were seised by the FEDs or something and all cars on the lot, impounded .

then just buy a salvaged s13/14 and use the title and VIN's off that car to say you built it off that platform, simple as that, ive seen it done alot when i lived in cali.

Oh, you mustn't do that...hehe

To add to this, from my understanding, the company crash tested only the r33 chassis (it being the least desirable) and applied the results to the R32 and R34 to have them "legal". Then after that, they need to somewhere in TX to a FED emmissions facility to become smog legal. So price of the car, on top of the:

import tax

shipping fees (to the USA, to TX, then to where ever you are).

labor fees

ect

prices start to add up.

Well the company in question has since been long gone. I think they were seised by the FEDs or something and all cars on the lot, impounded .

Not quite.

The DOT deemed their crash testing was NOT sufficient to cover the R32 and R34 models, and they weren't allowed to import those models anymore (only the R33 was tested) so Motorex ceased importation of skylines.

Their site is still up though. Not sure if they're in business though

Motorex is long gone. Owner was arrested on several federal charges a couple years ago. I helped a buddy recover 2 of his cars there thru lawyers. --Cocaine is a hell of a drug.--

I sold my BNR32 in order to buy my KGC10. Once you drive and own the car you understand what the big deal is.

Note: There may be a kick ass car in South Africa. Until I am exposed to it I will never understand its importance.

In Canada, they're a Dime a Dozen...and as such the prices are far less. Still the same story to import them though. Although, for $7k, most likely the cars you're seeing are GTS-T's and aren't really worth more than an S13 with a RB swap.

The one I am referring to has an rb26dett

There are plenty of pre R35 Skylines involved in motorsport in AU, time attack, targas, that sort of thing. A well prepared one will still beat most everything in short events no matter what badge and $ although a lot of them are getting tired by now.

If my S130 ever gets fully smashed a GTS-t would be top of the replacement list, can't understand why more are not raced in the US, they truly are one of the great cars.

plus, besides the smog and crash testing, the US has a 25 year cap on importing cars. So combining both of those and it's virtually impossible for the average buyer to import and legally drive a Skyline. The only way now is to find one that is already driving legally in the US.

Have you seen Canadian S13's? sometimes I imagine them being parked on a salt-bed that you see fish lined up at in various markets around town... you think you've seen some bad S30s? hahahahha.

a friend just bought a 180sx that still had the zinc dichromate coating on the tranmission bolts... in Canada that is unheard of.

10 - 15,000 for a GTR that is in top condition is a deal considering the body panels, from what I've seen, have a better galvanization, and are in way better condition in 99% of the cases i've seen if compared to regular (not babied) z32's

Have you seen Canadian S13's? sometimes I imagine them being parked on a salt-bed that you see fish lined up at in various markets around town... you think you've seen some bad S30s? hahahahha.

Quoted for truth! :)

The 240SX cars up here have all had the absolute snot beaten out of them by 17-21 year olds (in my experience anyway. Unless it's an automatic then it's usually in decent shape.) And they do not take too well to our winters at all.

Skylines are all over the place, I know three guys who currently own or have owned them. I see the appeal though, they're nice cars. But i've personally only ever been attracted to the R34 AWD Turbo model. (Before the Fast & Furious series debut btw).

well, i guess there is a benefit to being in Oz.

Im sick of the sight of them, so bloody many of them.

But we also get a few around my town (lots of rich people) where R34's have been bought and given to the kids as a first car.

And they come into my store, asking for friggin neons and stickers.

well, i guess there is a benefit to being in Oz.

Im sick of the sight of them, so bloody many of them.

But we also get a few around my town (lots of rich people) where R34's have been bought and given to the kids as a first car.

And they come into my store, asking for friggin neons and stickers.

and a cooker for all that rice :P lol

sorry couldn't resist :P

The infiniti M30 shares the same unibody as the R31 and, to some extent the R32.

Just buy one of them for a grand and bolt in the skyline drivetrain, suspension, and brakes.

Anyone who drives a skyline in the U.S. will end up having to replace his badges on a monthly basis because of vandals.

This will probably get me in trouble, but the Skyline to me is kind of like the opposite of a polished turd. You know, good on the inside but ugly on the outside. I got even more turned off with them after F&F. To each his own, but I'm with some others on this. . . drop the drive train into something with some curves or spend the money on something else.

The infiniti M30 shares the same unibody as the R31 and, to some extent the R32.

Just buy one of them for a grand and bolt in the skyline drivetrain, suspension, and brakes.

Anyone who drives a skyline in the U.S. will end up having to replace his badges on a monthly basis because of vandals.

Really? I thought the Leopard was somewhat of a unique chassis.

Shxxxxxt... i almost had an M30 for 50 bucks. It got towed the next day... all it needed was a transmission flush =(