HybridZ

240sx engine in a 240z

I want to reduce my carbon footprint.

There are much more fuel efficient engines than the KA24DE.

There are much more aerodynamic (and light) chassis than the S30.

But, hey, to each his own. LUK.

I personally thought of using a KA24DE for turbo since the heads flow very nicely. The KA24DE is the new SR20DET IMHO.

• Administrators

Can it be done? If you've looked through various portions of this forum you may have seen all kinds of engine swaps in Z cars, from Rotaries to SR20DET's, Small block to big block V-8's, V-10 to V-12's. You are only limited by your imagination, budget, and skill set.

This forum revolves around engine swaps in Z cars, but no one here is going to tell you step by step how to swap an engine in your Z car. This forum is more of an advanced course of sharing, picking each others brains over specifics. :wink:

If you are genuinely concerned about your carbon footprint, Prius comes to mind...

These links will help as well;

http://forums.hybridz.org/announcement.php?f=135&a=2

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=125970

Best of luck with your KA24 conversion.

Edited by BRAAP

Does anyone else cringe when people use phrases such as 'carbon footprint' and 'green _____?'

Haha yes. I work at advance auto and I get a kick out of the people that come in trying to recycle EVERYTHING haha. Old cd players, blown light bulbs, pretty much any disposable car part you can think of lol.

And while I'm not out to "destroy the planet" or anything, the environment is the last thing I think of when it comes to my Z. I think we should take care of what we have but some people go way overboard with being "environmentally friendly"

I like how you say "the 2.4 liter engine" as though you mean the stock engine, though I suspect you mean to say "a 2.4 liter engine".

Carbon footprint is a variable of several things, so let's discuss...

Fuel usage - what MPG can you get? The 240SX is rated at 26/22 highway/city in the newer DOHC S14 chassis. The older SOHC S13 chassis is rated at 26/22 as well but makes less HP but pushes less weight.

Guys on this very site, other sites, and well proven I think, are getting 30mpg highway in a stock 240Z in good working order with a good tune on the carbs. With modern EFI like megasquirt I'm sure even high could be attained if you were tuning specifically for mileage.

CO/NOx/O2 Emissions - These emissions levels can only be brought to a minimum level, never removed. You can minimize them the most by making sure you have no wasted fuel or air, that all of the fuel put in gets burned, while no excess air gets in. You can have the ideal "air/fuel" ratio but still have fuel that doesn't get used, or air that doesn't get used. The best way to improve these performance values is to have a combustion chamber with lots of swirl/quench, and to make sure your fuel is getting atomized as best as you can get it. Fine spraying injectors placed well up the intake path go a long way in improving fuel atomization.

But there's no way around it, there will be SOME emission output, as proven by this graph:

afr.gif

There is no point in which all lines reach zero. Which leads us to our last topic:

Catalytic Converters - Some of the biggest improvements in modern emission control systems isn't just in the fuel control, injection system, or EGR systems and the likes, but the "cats" as they're known. A good cat nowdays can really improve a cars emission performance to the point of getting a car that's failing a smog test, to showing as though it was brand new. Granted, if you're running too rich and failing for that reason then you'll very quickly kill that nice new cat, but it shows that it's doing it's job.

Cats are one of the big reasons why some modern cars can actually claim to "clean the air around them" because the air running through the engine gets cleaner by the tip of the tail pipe compared to when it entered the air filter.

Adding a cat to an old 240Z might increase underbody heat, but with the right engineering to take care of that it would improve the carbon footprint greatly.

Fuel Vapor - Some quick research would show you that fuel vapor is one of the leading harmful gasses emitted by a car. Fuel vapor that escaped during a fill up will cause more "harm" to the environment than the burning of that entire tank (if the car is new and in good working order). The old Z cars are known for fuel fumes that secrete in many areas, fix these and I'm sure you'll "feel the trees thanking you".

Hope that helps somehow.