HybridZ

Hello, I recently purchased a 280Z that had been in a hit and run and totaled as a parts car for a 260Z that I'm building. I bought it mostly for the interior and rear diff. When I got it home and was inspecting it more I noticed it had 4 piston calipers on the front marked S12+8, the toyota calipers I believe.

What is going to be the easiest way to take these from the 280 and put on the 260? Just swap the calipers or take the entire brake assembly? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

are they vented or rotors or solid rotors, there are two different kinds of s12+8 calipers. If the calipers are for a vented rotor you will need do some modification to your hub to swap them out. If the calipers are on a solid rotor they should be a direct bolt on, with a little trim of the dust plate cover and bend of the brake fluid line.

there's a lot of info on the first page of the stickies in this sub forum. take a galnce at it and read it through before performing your own brake swaps, thats your life depends on them.

Digging through all the threads on the S12 swap I found this: "The S12+8 caliper has two 43.0mm diameter pistons and two 33.8mm diameter pistons whereas the S12W has four 43.0mm diameter pistons. This increase in piston area requires a larger (1") diameter master cylinder when using the S12W calipers."

I couldn't find anything that confirmed or denied this post? Does anybody know for sure, if I didn't have to find a new master cylinder to swap in it would be nice but I want to do this right. Also, is the 280 master cylinder any better than the 260?

• 2 months later...