HybridZ

BMW Seats

psdenno

I couldn't find the info I needed after an archive search, so I hope someone can help. I'm interested in installing BMW 318/325 seats in my '71 Z and want to know how they mount.

Flat on the floor - remove factory Z mount points?

On the existing mounting area with adapters?

How much fab work is needed?

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has made the switch,

Thanks,

Dennis

Bolt two plates to the bottom of the BMW seats about 3" wide each like skis. Then bolt the stock Z seat rails under the plates in the right location. Space the rails off the plates to get your desired seat height. I spaced mine up about 1" or so but I'm short.

86583075_txura-L.jpg

What's a good price for a pair of these seats?

I found a set in pretty good condition on craigslist, but I'm not sure if I should consider them or not.

I'm really torn between these, NISMO seats, and the 350z seats - these being the only leather set.

• 10 months later...

What's a good price for a pair of these seats?

I found a set in pretty good condition on craigslist, but I'm not sure if I should consider them or not.

I'm really torn between these, NISMO seats, and the 350z seats - these being the only leather set.

check out www.bimmerforums.com they always have seats for sale, I wouldn't pay more than 300 for a clean set, but im cheap haha, that and shipping is going to be a killer so try to find local

Edited by Negligence

• Administrators

Bolt two plates to the bottom of the BMW seats about 3" wide each like skis. Then bolt the stock Z seat rails under the plates in the right location. Space the rails off the plates to get your desired seat height. I spaced mine up about 1" or so but I'm short.

86583075_txura-L.jpg

Dave,

What vintage, model, chassis of BMW did these come from?

The style compliments the S-30 interior quite nicely! :2thumbs:

Nobody slap me for this...but I got those seats for free.   :blink:   I gave the guy some beer as a gesture.  He bought a 57 Chevy and they were in it, on top of milk crates. He wanted to go back to an original bench seat or something.  Over the years I have come to discover that they are from an early BMW 318i or 320i.  I mean 80's vintage (E21).  I got really lucky with these, but when you wait 16 years or so to do an upgrade, sometimes, luck just finds you.  I hear they are very popular upgrade seats amongst the BMW 2002 crowd.  They do come up for sale rarely, but are usually pricey when they do.  I tried seaching for exact year/model but I come across a ton of cloth versions which don't cut the mustard.  Upholstery kits are available for them.

The seats are fairly narrow in between the bolsters but they hold you in like a suction cup would.  I also like the adjustable under-thigh supports.  They extend and retract.

http://www.my2002tii...ecaro_seats.htm

http://www.2002parts.com/html/recaro_front_seats.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/...id=140280028636

http://orangecounty....1646247616.html

Edited by cygnusx1

Mine were from ebay last May and were close enough (90 miles away) that I avoided shipping costs. Be aware that there are different mounting configurations on the BMW seats. Mine are not mounted like the ones seen above and required a little more involved bracket to attach the stock Z seat runners. Welding was not necessary - everything bolts together. I'll post pictures if anyone is interested. The passenger seat went in yesterday and the driver's seat is a work in progress.

Dennis

From the CL ad dave put up...

These will make you a better driver and more interesting conversationalist, you should really hurry up and buy them...

I have these seats in my Mini and I've dumped them in the 240 just to see what's what and they fit in there like a champ. My jerry-rigged lower mounts will even bolt right up to the factory seat mounts! That said, they are out of E21's, but you cant just pounce on a JY in hopes of finding the seats. They were option seats from what I've found as not many E21's that I've found have had these seats. Though if you do find them, nab them. I'm 6'2" and they fit me great. I love how you sit into the seat not on the seat like many and they're pretty compact too for what they are (how else do you think a 74inch tall mildly fat dude is going to cram into a mini?).

I had a set of the next gen models,(want to say from 86' at a local jy), but later sold them to a guy locally with an Opel wagon. I now have a set of Recaro Lancer evo 9's, but am wondering if I should have kept these and went through with reupholstering them in perforated black. Cygnusx1, your car's interior was my inspiration. I personally like the earlier style (horizontal stitching) that you have more so than the vertical on my old set. Most of the ones that come up in the local jy's around here are shot, but every now and then you get lucky as I did with my set. I've somewhat curbed my junkyard hunting tendencies as of lately.

post-736-12692411499053_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

The e21 and e30 seats are pretty similar, I would suggest the Sports instead of the Comforts. Just to let you know...even the fabric comforts I had in my e30 weigh a ton, full manual too. I installed full power leather e36 seats in, so I got to feel first hand how heavy they were. These are lighter than both ;)

SUC52577.jpg

I have a E36 M3 seat bolt into my 73 240z!

one thing which is very important that I would like to let you know!

if you just bolt it into your Z with the original seat mount from the Bimmer your driving position will shift to the left 2-3 inches!

+ you will need to buy the seat belt for the bimmer unless you got a racing harness or you will have no place to install the original seat belt.

I have a E36 M3 seat bolt into my 73 240z!

one thing which is very important that I would like to let you know!

if you just bolt it into your Z with the original seat mount from the Bimmer your driving position will shift to the left 2-3 inches!

+ you will need to buy the seat belt for the bimmer unless you got a racing harness or you will have no place to install the original seat belt.

I didn't use the BMW mounting rails - took them off and made a new base that uses the Z seat rails. The seats are centered, no problems with seat belts, and sit a little higher than the original Z seats.

Dennis