HybridZ

Subaru WRX STi R180 Side Axles

johnc

Sounds simple, but...

1. in a 240z, when you also change to a 1983 280zx 5-speed; do you use the 240z driveshaft or the 280zx driveshaft?

2. oil and LSD lube; total is 1 quart, how much of each, and any particular oil

3. presumably when changing output flanges and input flanges one needs new seals; would these just be the ones I could get from a Subaru dealer

Thanks (and apologies for the simple, and possibly repeated, questions)

The drive shafts are the same. We use the 4-speed drive shaft with the 83 5-speed and the Subaru LSD.

The oil quantity required is approximately 1 quart. Fill the LSD until oil runs out from the fill plug. If you use GL-5 and thje LSD modifers 1 bottle is enoung and is only a few ounces of oil. Add it first and then fill with the GL-5 until full.

Yes, strictly speaking you should change the seals every time the shafts come out. However, many people get away without doing this. If you want to change the seals do it. It is easy and low cost. You can use the Subaru seals or the Datsun seals, they are the same.

Has anyone had a replacement 240z driveshaft made that mated directly to the Subaru r180 input flange?

Wouldn't that be safer than changing the input flanges? I have heard that if you do not install the input flange back exactly so that it can result in signiificant rearend noise.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Derek said:

Those look like a pretty good option. I'm at the beginning stages of looking at the Subaru R180 and this seems like a good way to go.

Thanks for posting this.

Derek

I know who makes these hes local to me and he does good work. Support smaller local Datsun Parts suppliers who are hobbiest just like you and I. 

p.s. we need to talk me and you

• 11 months later...
3 hours ago, gearhead240 said:

John, do you still have these available? I need them for an LS/T56/4.44 swap.

Thanks

Eric

Not clear who you're talking to.  There are 16 pages in the thread.  John Coffey died several years ago, but had already given the STI axle business over to Wolf Creek Racing before then.

p.s. the R180 is not really strong enough for what you have.  

http://www.wolfcreekracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22:tranny-a-rear-diff-parts&catid=16:tranny-a-rear-diff-parts&Itemid=31

Edited by NewZed

• 3 years later...

If anyone is still looking for a 4 bolt, 27 Spline Subaru R180 diff stubs, FutoFab offers them.

We assumed the Wolf Creek Racing stock when it's owner passed in 2015. Since that time we have changed our manufacturing process using forgings rather than machining from billet stock. We feel forgings offer better quality.

FutoFab's forged STi stub axles are distinctive, having a round flange. Price is $550/pair +S&H.

link - FutoFab STi Diff Stubs

image.jpeg.d5f3107cce3542c6bce24da35716ccdc.jpeg

We offer multiple CV axle and stub axle options for the S30 Z Cars.

Link - FutoFab's Driveline Page

Dave Patten, Owner

FutoFab LLC

199 Stark Hwy S

Dunbarton, NH 03046

(603) 774-6964

email - Dave@FutoFab.com

website - FutoFab.com

• Like 1