HybridZ

Subaru WRX STi R180 Side Axles

johnc

datrod -

Those are some interesting pictures of the process. I think you said heat treating next then cut the splines. How are you going to cut the splines? One at a time in an end-mill? 27 x 40 is more than I can count. Surely there must be a better way.

Yeah there is, it's called "hobbing".

I send them out to a gear house and they cut the splines. Top quality stuff.

Yeah there is, it's called "hobbing".

Is that the inverse of "Broaching"? Exterior vs interior.

Is it possible to get a few sots of the "hobbing"? Or will that be impossible?

I picked up a nice R180 from a STi with 3.90 on eBay in anticipation of this product being available. Cost was under $300. It did not included the output shafts which seemed to make it undesirable for people trying to do a STi to WRX swap. There seem to be plently of these available in the $300 to $400 range.

I plan to use the R180 with the 3.9 with a 280ZX 5 speed transmission. Based on the transmission calculator it should be acceptable with my tires.

http://webspace.webring.com/people/cz/z_design_studio/

I'm glad to hear the stock R180 cover works as the R180 from the STi's bolts are a tad long. This should make a nice alternative to the hard-to-find R200's from the 300ZX turbos.

Is it possible to get a few sots of the "hobbing"? Or will that be impossible?

I really can't do that. I would have to spend to much time to get there and back. So Cal freeways and all. I send the stuff UPS so I don't have to drive.

From engineers edge:

Hobbing manufacturing is a special form of tooling and manufacturing that cuts tooth type geometries. It is the major industrial process for cutting (as opposed to grinding) spur gears of involute form. It forms the gear by rotating the gear blank on a spindle and the cutter on a different spindle at the same time. The cutter is similar to a worm gear, except that it has gashes to form a cutting edge. The hob will make a single revolution for each tooth if it has a single pitch.

The hob cutting tool teeth are helical, and when cutting a spur gear form, the axis of the hob tool is inclined from the perpendicular orientation by the helix angle of the hob cutting tool. Hobbing is employed to produce spur gears, involute gears , ACME threads, worm gears, and cycloid gears , however hobbing cannot produce bevel or internal gears.

From engineers edge:

It's not that hard to understand the concept behind how these machines operate, but every time I see one do something like this with my own eyes, where the accumulation of errors and tolerances DON'T get in the way, I just grin! That was beautiful.

Yup.

This machine kicks butt.

Yea that's nice on free machining brass. Try that on heat treated 4340 and see what happens. I do love watching that. But that's a very small part on a very limited machine. Still cool to see something move that fast.

I wish I could shoot and load video. I would blow your mind with some of the stuff I do.

FYI... new bolts for these side shafts are NLA from Nissan. I've been working for two months with Courtesy Nissan and Nissan Motorsports and they are just not available. If you buy a set of these side shafts you will have to source the bolts yourself. They can be easily tapped out of any R160, R180, or R200 side shaft.

For anyone having trouble finding a reasonably priced diff, email or PM me and I will get you in touch with some sellers from Subaru boards (former swapped suby owner). I can't vouch for the products they are selling, it's up to you to decide if they are reputable or not. I will do my best to set you up with some good deals on fairly low mileage diffs. Just let me know!

My email is tallicaguitar88 AT gmail dot com