HybridZ

New Ford 5.0L "Cayote" V8

sulla

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gr8White
Well what about the 6.2L SOHC that will be in the 2011 F150 Raptor? Even the 5.4L can be sleeved and stroked to 6.0L. Granted these are wider engines, and heavier with Cast Iron blocks (aside from Aluminum 5.4L blocks) these are still great performers and are on par with most LSx engines.

Pistons have been a weak link in the GT's (Among powdered cracked cap rods) since 1993. Cobra's of course get better parts.

Octane is also a limiting factor :)

Yep-The biggest problem I have seen is a combination of factors, most of the failures I've seen have involved piston failure well before the rod strength becomes an issue. The stock engines will simply not tolerate a bad tune or cheap gas with forced induction. The boosted PI engines are very sensitive to timing and run best at the edge of detonation (as do most), there is just not enough forgiveness to allow "mistakes" with the tune and there often is no warning of detonation/pre-ignition before it's too late. Someone runs it longer or harder on a summer day when it was tuned in cooler weather, bad gas..the list goes on- but it needs to be a fat tune at even 6 psi or the pistons are on borrowed time.

• 5 months later...

As a modular engine fan, the new Coyote engine has me decently excited. I'm still not sure a S30 is it's best home, but that doesn't mean it's a bad engine.

The 03/04 cobra engine was legendary almost overnight and I might even say it's the best "out of the box" longblocks in a production car. I'm sure Ford will make a variant of the coyote to live up to the reputation.

I'm still eagerly awaiting more info on them though. Only time will tell their real potential.

I read a decent (best I've seen thus far) on the new 5.0. Here it is.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1003_2011_ford_mustang_gt_50_coyote_engine/index.html

Seems the weak link in stock form is the rods, though they're more than durable enough for stock application. I bet someone will get them well over 500 wheel HP before they actually give up under force induction. Pistons look really nice for non-forged units. I really wonder what they're going to be good for. The cylinder liners are wickedly thin. I wonder why they didn't increase the OD of the liner.

Overall this might come to be my favorite DOHC V8 on the market, especially in 10 years when they're plentiful (I hope). Judging from what I've read it would likely fit in a Z car too. Narrower than the DOHC by a bit, it's widest part is the exhaust manifolds, which would probably need custom ones made per application. Ford also seems certain to stand by the claim it's lighter than the 3 valve motor too, so it shouldn't be too much of a pig in weight, just big like any DOHC engine.

The narrower head while improving port flow really seems awesome, but I really want to know how they got a 11:1 compression engine to run on 87 octane and only loose 10hp over 91 octane. There doesn't seem to be much squish or quench on the head. The valves seem a bit shrouded but it's hard to tell in their pics how bad it really is.

The more I read, the more I like.

Here in houston the new 5.0 has done better that 650whp and has done a 9sec 1/4 mile. Stock long block. That is with nitrous. All motor is a high 10 with stock cams and head. Still stock long block.

10 sec run all motor

9 sec run nitrous and c4 tranny (music was so you could not tell it was auto)

Well there ya go, who needs fancy forged H-Beam rods?

9's on a stock NA longblock... Wow. I want to see what they'll do with force induction on pump gas!!!

I did not look at the link in the write up above but if its the article I think it is then I believe they say that the new 5.0 head is the highest flowing head on Fords shelf. Higher than the 5.0 cammer head and the GT head. A set of forged slugs and these are going to be crazy.

Reaching almost 80 torque per liter and 84HP per liter at only 6500 hell yea I'd imagine it's their best flowing head! Dang thing looks like it's a stone's throw away from the 2008 GT500 HP!!!

And in usual ford fashion it seems they're underrated a taste. Most dyno's are comming in at least 367 (lowest I've seen) to 390 (highest I've seen). Even if we figure the low number that's an impossible 10% drivetrain loss to make the figures match... These things are putting out at least 420hp in stock form.

• 3 weeks later...

First turbo kit is out! Here's the brief overview for those who don't want to click the linky.

6-7 PSI

Stock longblock

Conservative "safe" street tune

Guaranteed 530RWHP

Borg Warner 72mm S400 turbo

http://www.fastlaneturbo.com/2011mustang-turbo-1.aspx

So by my calculations that's over 600 crank HP pretty easily enough. They seem to have a lot of faith in those rods that the guys at ford that designed the engine called the "weak link in the system". If that "weak link" can actually support 600 crank HP for a reliable enough period I can't even imagine what a built SVT bottom end might be able to handle once we have a 5.0 GT500.

Also an interesting note is how large that turbo is, but I guess when you have heads that flow that well it takes a lot of air just to get to 6-7 psi. I bet even at those boost levels that's a sick street car.

• 2 months later...

For those curious, Ford racing is now providing supercharging kit for the 2011 that DOES NOT void the manufacture warranty and makes 525hp. I can't find it now, but I'd read that after the warranty period was over that the kit could be upgraded and put out a rated power of XXX... I'll post if I find it sometime.

At any rate, this is awesome. Factory supported force induction on an engine that the engineers themselves say the weak link is the rods.

First turbo kit is out! Here's the brief overview for those who don't want to click the linky.

6-7 PSI

Stock longblock

Conservative "safe" street tune

Guaranteed 530RWHP

Borg Warner 72mm S400 turbo

http://www.fastlaneturbo.com/2011mustang-turbo-1.aspx

So by my calculations that's over 600 crank HP pretty easily enough. They seem to have a lot of faith in those rods that the guys at ford that designed the engine called the "weak link in the system". If that "weak link" can actually support 600 crank HP for a reliable enough period I can't even imagine what a built SVT bottom end might be able to handle once we have a 5.0 GT500.

Also an interesting note is how large that turbo is, but I guess when you have heads that flow that well it takes a lot of air just to get to 6-7 psi. I bet even at those boost levels that's a sick street car.

Yeah, fastlane is right dawn the street from me. They turn out some pretty crazy vehcles. I am pretty sure they have the 5.0 mustange in the video up in the 650whp area at 9psi. At least thats what they were saying last I spoke with them.

Whelp I am back.

I took a short break because we sold the Z, then it swapped hands three more times only to come back to us with a blown motor and torn apart.

Pure luck let us find her again, Love for this Z will bring her back to life.

I guess I propelled a lot of this "Coyote Madness" in the beginning so I should try to at least do this swap. :D

If I can get ahold of a crate motor I will of course make a detailed YouTube 1080p documentary with a Canon 5DII for high quality 1080p eps on how it was done and how everyone else can do it.

I am going to try my best to hunt down a Boss302 engine with harness and controller but I don't know if Ford will sell one yet.

With its 440hp rating, CNC'ed heads, lighter-stronger valve-train, sodium filled exhaust valves and stronger forged rods/pistons this would be a great match for a Z and tuning.

Lest we not forget the more aggressive cams, tuning and short runner intake to take advantage of the CNC heads new flow.

The electric power steering might be interesting to incorporate into this build as the Coyote, Boss or Not has NO prevision for a power steering pump.

The 6spds hydraulic clutch ought to be a cinch to hook up to the factory Z hydraulic system with minor modifications and hardware.

PST is my company of choice for carbon fiber drive shafts and that's who I will go through for the custom unit that I will need.

If I can get my hands on this engine I will have Evo Perf help me with the LT's and full 3" exhaust, C&L for the CAI (Custom thanks to the Boss's new intake) and Jon Lund for tuning. Pretty much the big players in the Coyote's release.

I will also try to get ahold of FRPP's roots SC for the Coyote as a coup de grâce finish to this build.

Of course Suspension and brakes will be along the usual Z variety.

Right now the biggest hurtle that I have to jump is getting this motor and finding more funding.

Lets see what I can do. :)

-Eric-

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I thought I would chime in. am a ford senior master tech and have some info that may help. the new 5.0 has shown very little problems and is a great power maker. the new boss 302 version is even better. I have seen 5.0 making over 700hp[at the wheels] with bolt on superchargers and other small mods while the Boss version with similiar mods makes around 800hp at over 7000 rpm.

the 6.2 is a big block totally new engine and is designed to allow over 7 liters in the future. hennessy makes a tt for the raptor 6.2 that is over 800hp

the 2013 gt500 will have a new 5.8 liter supercharged engine with 650hp[most powerful production v8 made]. the engine is basically a 5.4 enhanced like the 4.6 was to get a 5.0 with the new 5.0 style heads. It is supposed to top 200mph!!

Edited by fordsunzx