HybridZ

sr20det motor mounts?/ 2+2 part interchangeability?

Hi, new to the forum here. I am going to be picking up my $500 1983 280zx n/a this weekend with a free 1981 2+2 for parts. Not being to familiar with datsuns. What can i use off the 2+2? also I was looking into parting the 2+2 out after i get what i want off of it to fund my sr20det swap, is ther much of a demand for 2+2 parts? i would also like to know if there are any motor mount kits for the sr20det in the 280zx? if not would any for the 240,260, or 280z work? any help would be great.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
What can i use off the 2+2?

brake booster, clutch/preasure plate/throw out bearing

is ther much of a demand for 2+2 parts?

Not really, but for someone trying to find replacement parts for a 2+2, they are pretty difficult to find

i would also like to know if there are any motor mount kits for the sr20det in the 280zx?

No

if not would any for the 240,260, or 280z work?

maybe, but they might need to be extended wider. I have no dimensions of a 280zx frame rails to verify.

I have a couple 280ZX cars around to measure if needed. I also have a 280Z but the engine is still in it so frame measurements might be difficult, but those should be easier to come by around here.

There are VERY few parts that differ from the 2+2, or at least less than you might expect.

Pretty much the only pieces that differ greatly are the ones that span the extra space they added. Corner windows, seats, driveshaft, brake lines, etc.

For the most part they're otherwise the same and very interchangeable. I'd say there were many more changes from the early models to late models than there were from 2 seater to 2+2.

the pressure plate on the 2+2 has a higher pressure rating than the NA L series engine in both the first gen Z and the 280zx. Not sure if its higher in the L28ET, but I know its higher than the 280zx NA.

(referring to the 280zx coupe, not the 280zx 2+2. pretty sure its the same pressure plate in the 2+2, but can't verify)

• 1 year later...

A sr going into a 280zx would change greatly from a 280z... the engine cradle is WAY farther back... there is not the clearance... so either you raise the engine above the cradle, make a custom oil pan, the upper, not just the lower, so theres some custom alluminum... I was looking to do the swap into a 300.. but NO not now, not gonna do that much custom..... but someone else might seee it and say, wow thats simple.. it actually rides on, or just misses the cross member but I don't think so... good luck