HybridZ

Floor Pan questions

Firstly, thanks for the excellent photos on this thread.

Did you use a butt or lap join along the transmission tunnel edge and, if a lap, did you used any bonding material? If no bonding compound, how do you propose the seal the join between the weld runs. Thanks.

I'm just waiting on my clecos to arrive before replacing mine.

Floor pan damage 1_thumb.jpg

Floor pan damage 2_thumb.jpg

I used a lap joint around the perimeter of the floor pan.

2f.jpg

The etching and primer is done, now I will use a two part mix seam sealer.

6-27-09001.jpg

6-27-09002.jpg

6-27-09008.jpg

3M makes a few different kinds of sealer, the application gun and nozzles look a little expensive. I also have access to a few two part sealers that are used in the aviation industry. I might end up using that.

• 2 weeks later...

GMAC,

First off, excellent build. I found the entire build you are doing on Nicoclub, you are the man.

I had a question for you on the seat brackets, since you cut them out, what was your method of re-attaching them properly? The only way that I could think of getting them aligned right would be to use the seat bracket itself, was this what you did?

I'm thinking of just lifting the replacement pan up from the bottom and welding it from there, so I don't have to cut out the seat brackets... but if it's not that hard to get the brackets lined up, I might try your method. What would you recommend?

GMAC,

what was your method of re-attaching them properly? The only way that I could think of getting them aligned right would be to use the seat bracket itself, was this what you did?

I'm thinking of just lifting the replacement pan up from the bottom and welding it from there, so I don't have to cut out the seat brackets... but if it's not that hard to get the brackets lined up, I might try your method. What would you recommend?

I got the Bad Dog seat brackets along with the frame rails. I think you could salvage the old ones. I would attach to seat and tack weld them in place. You could also make a fixture to hold them parallel. I measured stock seat attachment to stock tracks at 12 7/8 wide and 12 5/8 front to back measured at the hole center. Once you decide where to put the forward mounts, the rears are pretty easy.

I ended up cutting the BD seat brackets (forward and aft) down about 1 inch to gain some extra headroom. Here is picture of rear bracket and how much I cut off. You could do the same with the stock brackets too.

6-14-09003.jpg

I made my seat tracks from Jegs kit. I wanted dual locking tracks (required for some racing and not a bad idea) but did not like the Jegs cable system that came in kit. The arm had to be on the outside of seat to pull cable.

6-21-09015.jpg

so...I made it have a push rod instead. Now the arm is in the center.

6-13-09012.jpg

Mounted to seat...

6-21-09020.jpg

Removed from seat and attached to floor mounts and tack welded...

6-14-09006.jpg

I had spacers from stock seats on top for more room. I ended up removing them but you could always use them for fine tuning the angle of the seat. Those things are very handy.

Seat attached...

6-21-09024-1.jpg

Hope this helps. Not that hard at all :mrgreen:

Gord

• 1 month later...

hey man, just want to say THANK YOU for making such a helpful write up with pics etc, how were cutting out the stock rails? Im going to be undertaking this project soon i feel, and am having a veteran welder come over to do my work, just want to help as much as possible and do as much of the prelim work as possible