HybridZ

SU Out of tune??

Is you distributor set at the right place...In your case I would believe it is. Next check your firing order...remember, the distributor is rotating counter-clockwise. Do you have a service manual?

Distributor orientation

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=140191&highlight=oil+shaft

Spark Plug placement

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=132795&highlight=firing+order

After this, If something was wrong, try to start it. You can also take the wire off a plug, put a screwdriver where the plug should go, put it very close to any engine part, the park should be able to travel from the tip of the screwdriver and exit at the closest point of a ground...(middle of the screwdriver)

Or try another plug and lean it against a ground and see if you have spark.

Also, make sure your battery is fully charged and your connection to the coil are good.

Firing order is 153624. so that is correct.

I have checked multiple times that the plugs wires are on the right cylinders.

Battery is charged.

I tried 3 different plugs on the back cylinders = no change

I laid the plugs on the valve cover and there was spark when I cranked it.

So you get spark. Now, make sure you have no air leaks- Check again. Block the hoses if any that should go to the air cleaner...if any. Check again to make sure there is no leak.

If this is OK, it will be a Fuel delivery problem, for sure.

the engine stalls when I block the hose that goes to the aircleaner from the front carb. same hose on the rear carb does nothing.

I have sprayed carb cleaner around everywhere and I am pretty confident there is no leaks.

A little experiment i did yesterday was:

pull fuel hose to rear carb, crank the engine and see if fuel came out. It did.

After cranking the bowl was dry, so I know fuel is getting sucked onto the engine.

Can you take a picture of your carb and hoses? I don't remember hose schematic on top of my head.

Every hoses can be blocked and the engine will run...You are confirming that the carb suck gas, if there is gas in the bowl, after you crank the motor there isn't any gas? Am I right?

Did you do a compression test? and you are definitely sure you have spark. Problem shouldn't be to far. If you can send a pic of your hoses, it would be great, that could be the culprit.

I still have some leaks between the intake manifold and the head, so I'm gonna re-install the intake later tonight or tomorrow and see if that makes any difference.

Second though, should I just tighten everything more or re-install?

Make sure you have no leaks...loosen the balance tube before tightening the intake bolts. re-tighten balance tube afterward.

I cannot see anything wrong at this point, try putting rear carb in the front and vice-versa. That will tell you if it is carb related!

Post back after...it is not easy to repair your car from here sitting in my chair.

Jeff,

If you have a new Gasket, you can but shouldn't be an issue. Try reversing the carbs, if it still works only with the front (with the rear carb) you will know both carbs are working. It it only works in the rear, then the problem is with the carb.

Later...I am sure,

Dayz

There hasn't been much progress in the last day or two(except getting a welder hehe), stupid highschool graduation is getting in the way. :evil:

Hopefully after graduation today I'll be able to sneak onto the garage for a bit.

Jeff,

You don't need to separate any linkage. Unbolt the 4 nuts on each carbs...The linkage won't work because here is a rear one and a front one. As long as the throttle spring is attached somewhere, the car won't be revving to hell. No need for the chokes.

Also - you can just put gas by hand in the throat of the rear carbs and see if it fires and work that way. Don't need to put much gas, you can feed it with a little squeezing bottle. You can try this first before switching carbs.

Good Luck

Great to hear. Rebuilt kit just gives you gaskets and the "valve" not the needle nor the nozzle. You will realize that it is expensive. ...I would find a used set if I were you...I can find a rear carb only in my boxes if you are interested? I can let you know.

Dayz

From ZTherapy.com:

Complete Tune Up Kit for 2 carbs (Needle & seats, SM or N54 needles, ZT Nozzles, float gaskets, gas lines, banjo seals,4 insulator gaskets, Just SU's DVD)

isn't the N54 or SM Needles, needles. and the ZT Nozzles are nozzles.