HybridZ

crank case pressure...ideas for custom oil pickup

zilvia_gt

I'm finally continuing with my rbz swap. At first I was going to do an external oil pick-up, but I've been contemplating some ideas for a few days now about doing a custom internal oil pickup for my setup instead. I was just wondering if a corrugated stainless steel hose would be able to withstand the internal pressures/windage created inside the crank/oil pan area?

Here are the specs for the hose: http://www.hosecraftusa.com/model.php?id=229

Here are the specs for the braided version: http://www.hosecraftusa.com/model.php?id=220

Being that the main factor to consider here is the hose/pipe being crushed instead of exploding, I was leaning towards the non-braided version since they both handle the same Vac specs (and it's cheaper). What do you fellow hybrid z'ers think?:hs:

I think the better route would be to try and make a factory sump-style pickup, unless you move it to the outside and re-route it around the pan. I'm not sure if I would feel comfy with a host inside the block. the pumping and pushing and pulling of oil and air in there would wave it back and forth and cause weird sounds and if you ever decide to do an audible knock test, you will get some weird feed-back from the pickup.

kinda makes you wonder why there are tabs on the main girdles for z31's to hold the longgggggg pickup they use in two places. you could probably make something more sturdy using copper pipe, but i wouldn't even do that (i've seen it done, it holds up... but naaaaaaaaaaah)

something to think about!

food for thought is how the best inventors fulfill their appetite. ;)

in this case, I agree that external feed would be good. make sure to question every possible thing that is near the line though. catastrophe can strike with something as innocent as a small rock flinging itself at the fitting or something stupid like that.

You don't want any sort of bellows style piping on the pump inlet, it causes too much turbulence, and anything picked up off the bottom of the sump in operation could become lodged in the 'pleats' and dislodge later to be carried into the pump.

The Nissan external oil pump modification used A/N Spec -10 medium-pressure hose from the pickup to the pump cover, and bypassed (plugged) the smaller internal gallery. Discharge from the pump also bypassed (again, it was plugged) the internal block passage, and instead went from pump discharge to the oil filter inlet in the side of the block to feed the engine from there. It was up to you to add filters, coolers, etc between the pump, and the block.

Basically, the pickup was almost identical to the stock screen covered unit, but with 15mm tubing in it, which came directly out the side of the oil pan, with the -10 AM Male fitting on it for hookup to the suction hose going to the modified pump cover.

I don't see any reason a -8 Stainless Hardline couldn't be routed similarly externally, though it's I.D. would be slightly less than the -10 flexible. From my understanding of the modification, the big suction line really helped with the flow capability of the stock L-Pump, and I would assume it holds true to other models pumps as well, pumping losses are pumping losses!

Good Luck, hope this was of some help.

Well, my original plan was to weld or tap the aftermarket rb26 nismo oil pump for an -12 AN fitting, tap and plug the original internal hole, and then run a braided line to an external pickup from the back of the pan. I'm still deciding if I want to use a swinging pickup or just a regular stationary one. What do you guys think?

Well, my original plan was to weld or tap the aftermarket rb26 nismo oil pump for an -12 AN fitting, tap and plug the original internal hole, and then run a braided line to an external pickup from the back of the pan. I'm still deciding if I want to use a swinging pickup or just a regular stationary one. What do you guys think?

good baffles and an enlarged sump will negate the need for a swinging pickup, which would cause more problems if it so happened that it was fabricated wrong but looked like it would work. do you want to take that chance?

good baffles and an enlarged sump will negate the need for a swinging pickup, which would cause more problems if it so happened that it was fabricated wrong but looked like it would work. do you want to take that chance?

Well here are the pickups I'm looking at. My pan has an enlarged sump (7 qts) and is baffled, so I'm leaning towards the billet pickup, Part No: 200-1074.

http://www.440source.com/oilpickups.htm

The site says to mount them on the bottom of the pan (I'm assuming with the screen faced down and the "legs" of the pickup resting on the bottom), but I remember reading somewhere that there needs to be at least 1/4" or 1/2" of space between the pickup and the the pan. Any input on this? However, judging from the images, only one side and the front of the pickup has the screen for the oil to go through. Wouldn't it make more sense to mount the non-screen side directly to the bottom of the pan and have screen facing up, that way the oil flow is not constricted? Or would that just create a higher potential for the pickup to suck in air (which is bad)?

the ones with the legs probably have a 1/4" of room when rested... it looks that way but pictures can be deceiving... I'm comparing it to the size of the thread and what the description says the line size is.

I presume you're talking about this one here, which doesn't have legs:

2001075.jpg

A great price! The screw in fittings make it easy to put it on with a bit of sealant around the face and a pair of AN fittings screwed into some holes on the pan. Making sure it has full swing is all you need to do. Pan modification may be in order once again.

GO FOR IT ! :D