HybridZ

which is it....gt2530 or gt2860-5?

zilvia_gt

Ok, the topic has been beaten to death, but a lot of the info on the net seemed to have been removed.

Yes, I know the hks gt2530 and the garret gt2860-5 are essentially identical with very little differences. And yes, their performance is also almost the same. However, if given the choice between a set of these two turbos, which one would you take (assuming price and condition of the turbos are the same)? The gt2530 are tried and true, but they're older (technology) turbos. The gt2860-5 are relatively new with (possibly) newer technology, but they aren't a "true" bolt-on as the oil lines need to be modified (no biggy).

I've done quite some reading on the (performance) comparison of the two, but there seems to be conflicting information from different forums. Given the same engine set-up for a mild rb26dett, the gt2860-r will give a slight better response (earlier spool) but the gt2530 will have more to offer higher up? or is it vise-versa? Has anyone experienced both turbos? I know, I know....the difference is probably so little that it really doesn't matter, but just for argument and technical sakes.

The gt2530 are tried and true, but they're older (technology) turbos. The gt2860-5 are relatively new with (possibly) newer technology, but they aren't a "true" bolt-on as the oil lines need to be modified (no biggy).

You realize Garrett makes the Turbine and Compressor wheels to spec for HKS for the GT2530's? Garrett makes a slightly different spec for the GT2860's. This is like automakers like Honda with VTEC and a Toyota with VVTL. Call it what you want its still variable valve technology and its doing the same things without having to pay the other for its technology. Same holds true for the turbo comparison.

Given the same engine set-up for a mild rb26dett, the gt2860-r will give a slight better response (earlier spool) but the gt2530 will have more to offer higher up? or is it vise-versa?

It's vice versa from what I have read. Check out Garretts website and look at the map. You could probably find the equivalent for the HKS.

I think you are going to have better luck finding Wonder Woman's invisible jet.

Yes, I've known prior to this post that Garrett makes the wheels for HKS.

As for wonder woman's invisible jet...Just follow wonder woman and you'll eventually RUN into it (because it's invisible)!

superman:

"i uhhhh... couldn't help but notice you didn't wash your hands"

• 2 weeks later...

ive read on GTR forums that the GT2860 from garret is the equivalent of the HKS GT2530 RB26 twin replacment kit but not the regular GT2530 from garret their is a diffrence in the housing like it was said before .

Hope this helps took the info from GTRC forums