HybridZ

280z Progress. Frame, Floors, Exhaust, Fuel Cell - Lots of Pics!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I've gotten several PMs asking if I've dropped off of the face of the earth and the short story is... yes... My son was born on 02NOV09 and I've been really busy since then and have been operating on a crazy amount of sleep (only a few hours a day). I think I finally got caught up a bit yesterday so today I did a bunch of stuff around the house that has been needing attention and tomorrow I hope to put the Z on the ground and take it for a spin. Hopefully I have enough time to adjust the valves, troubleshoot my oil pressure sending unit, get a decent tune in it, and make a movie for you all to see. No promises cuz a 2-3 week old sure is helpless, and I sure like helping out seeing about him.

I got the car ready to take on a test drive - washed it... got in and heard a noise. The noise got louder and louder. Sounds like an exhaust leak - coming from one cylinder... It is really loud - almost like one cylinder is runnng completely open. Probably a f'ing head to manifold leak (I'm praying nothing is cracked). I tried tightening all the bolts with no luck. Looked for the leak and couldn't find it. I'll be trying to feel around for it with a cold engine next. If that doesn't work I'll be taking it all back apart to find my leak *sigh*.

It is very clear from just messing around in the garage that my acceleration enrichments need some major work, but I was really glad to get all the big bugs worked out today and ready to drive it around the block a few times for some tuning.

Just a suggestion, but do your accel enrichment tuning last. Actually, turn them off, to zero, zip, nada, for now. If you nail your base VE tune with enrichment off, you'll find that you need way less accel enrichment later on to perfect your throttle response. BTDT x lots.

Heading to the hospital so my son can be induced... I'm really excited to be a dad.

Congrats!

I'm curious about the weight of you car. How much (very worthwhile) weight have you added?

• 9 months later...

Was just checking out the pictures on the first page of the thread. They look fantastic. Floors are way better fabrication work than the previous owner of my car did. I have a feeling I am going to end up re doing them sometime down the road. Love the fuel cell cage as well. I think I am going to have to just cut all the factory sheet metal out of mine and lay a flat new piece in like you did.

Kinser

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

really hope you didnt sell it.. your son is gonna kill you in the future if he finds out you did. im a son. and i would be very upset if my dad was building such an awsome z as this whilst i too was being built and then sold it.. if hes anything like you he'll love the z when he gets older right?

• 11 months later...